+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Coffee too formal for high school?

Coffee too formal for high school?

I met this amazing girl through one of my female friends a few weeks ago. We have only talked a few times (don't really know each other that well), but we really just seem to have hit it off. She seems really nice, anyway. She called me a "sweetie" a few days ago and seems to like me as well.

Anyway, we don't have any classes together this semester to talk to each other in and there are really no good movies out right now. That "Failure to Launch" movie looks good, but it comes out March 10, but I can't wait that long.
    I want her now!

One of the few things I know about this girl is she definitely likes Starbucks. So I was thinking of asking her to go there with me some weekend and we could talk and get to know each other a little better.
    Just like that.

My question is: Is asking someone out on what is essentially a "coffee date" too formal for high school?

We are both sophomores and can't drive, if that helps.
    Lacking any other real opportunities at the moment, the coffee idea looks good to me, but what do you think?

I know this was kind of long, but thanks in advance!

I don't think it's too formal... in fact, I believe coffee is pretty casual. I guess it might be a little 'downtone' for high school, as I think many high schoolers might think a 'coffee date' is boring.

Is she someone that seems like you can talk to for a long time? If so, then the coffee date might be a good idea. You said she likes Starbucks, anyway. The thing with those sorts of things is that you can't do anything but talk. That could be a bad thing (if the conversation isn't going too well), or a GREAT thing.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The good thing about coffee dates is that you can easily cut them short if you aren't having fun. I think they are they perfect first date, even for high schoolers. Either that, or Jamba Juice.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Maybe "formal" wasn't exactly what I meant. I meant that the whole coffee thing kind of seemed like a college or older people kind of thing, but it might work out well for me in this case.

As for talking to her, well I know that's all we'll be doing, but I feel that's what needs to happen. This is one of the few girls I've ever cared about getting to know better and I think we would both have a lot of fun talking to each other because she already seems to like me a little bit. And if nothing else, she likes Starbucks, making her more likely to do this to begin with. So she'll go for the coffee if nothing else.

But I've got plenty of subject matter for conversation.
    I'm going to ask her about the usual: likes/dislikes, favorite music, tv shows, what she wants to do after high school, her family, generally about her life, stuff like that.

So I think I'll have plenty to talk about. And this is just the stuff I'm going to ask her. I don't know what she's going to ask me in her half of the conversation.

So I'm guessing the coffee's a good idea?

'Cause that's the direction I'm headed.

Tone Guest
    Sure, since she's told you she loves Starbucks it should be fine. Good luck~

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Sure, since she's told you she loves Starbucks it should be fine. Good luck~

What Tone said. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey, you said she liked Starbucks. So you are on a good path, I think.

Report back!

ah, a date at starbucks. that sounds so fun! btw, steer clear of the latte's, frap's, and anything that starts with 'mocha'. your best bet is a shot in the dark.

Thanks alot for all your help, everybody who contributed. I am definitely asking her out for coffee this weekend

I really hope she goes for it because she seems like a really nice girl (there aren't too many of them around these days ) and there's nothing I'd like better than to just sit down with her, talk, and get to know her a little better. There's so much I'd like to know about her, so much to tell her about me, though I am far more interested in her and what she has to say.
    This could be good.

I'll let you know how it goes. It seems like a great idea to me and this is what I'm going to do. If anyone else has anything else to say about it or any other suggestions, that would be great

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Joe_Watson; 21-02-06 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Watson
    If anyone else has anything else to say about it or any other suggestions, that would be great [/B]Thanks again!

Just be yourself dude.

Relax and have a good time with her. But don't TRY too hard. Sometimes when we try TOO hard it works in reverse no matter what age we are! (And I'm old enough to be your Father, but some things never change, trust me on that)

Again simply relax and enjoy the afternoon.

A nice walk around a mall, a park or a beach/lake is always a good thing too. Just a thought.

You'll be fine....