+ Follow This Topic

Thread: having to take a girl who cares for someone else to prom?

having to take a girl who cares for someone else to prom?

I'm a senior in high school and I fell for this friend I've known for years. We never really talked to each other or hung out too much before the start of the school year but since then, we've become pretty close. Around New Years, I made the mistake of coming on too strong and admitting that I wanted to start something with her. She told me that she wasn't looking for a relationship and she only liked me as a friend. Ever since then, things became noticably more awkward between us and we've contacted each other less and less. During April though, she brought up the topic of senior prom and asked if I was going with anyone. I told her that I didn't even have a date and she said that she could go with me. I was pretty surprised, especially since she's only a junior and from a different school than mine. I was excited at first, but a few days ago, I found out from one of her best friends that she is completely infatuated with another guy. She was forced to break off contact with the guy a while ago because his parents are incredibly religous and won't allow him to see a girl with different beliefs. The main problem is, the guy is what she describes as "perfect," and even better towards her than I ever was. The situation makes me seem undeserving of this girl. It actually makes me consider letting these two be together. The problem is, I'm still taking her to prom. I really have no idea what to make of the whole thing. I still care for this girl deeply, but at the same time it feels selfish to be involved with her when she clearly cares for a more deserving guy than she does for me.

Find someone worthy of YOUR time and efforts to take to the prom.. She's just a friend using a friend to one up her early years tally.

Care for her, but not at your own expense... better to go an afterprom activity alone than to go to prom with her...

Unless she shows you other reasons beforehand.... and not with any pressure on your part....

Think about it...

The problem is that it's already so late in the year and that there are probably no other girls available to go with me that I really don't have much of a choice but to go with her. Also, I'd seriously rather not go to senior prom alone. I really want to make something out of the end of senior year.

I don't understand why you're putting so much weight on prom.. she offered to go with you because you said you didn't have a date and she's a friend of yours. Going to prom together doesn't mean you're "getting involved with her," or "not letting her be with some other guy," [I laughed at that-- like you have a say in it haha.]

Seriously, just take your friend to the prom, have a good time, and don't worry about it.

I would say she is probably using you to get to the prom. She says she doesnt want a relationship right now yet she seems like she wants one from this other guy? I would find someone else to go with,then at the last minute tell her your going with someone else. See how she likes it. But on the other hand prom isnt a big deal (to me) and we never had dates we just went in a big group...can you not go yourself? If you really want to go with her fine,but make it clear after that you only took her because there was no one else.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's just a dance. She's just a friend. Lots of kids go to prom with their friend because they are more likely to have a good time than if they went with some stranger. Let her pay for her ticket, and go. Have fun. It's not like the prom is the first step towards a lifetime commitment.