+ Follow This Topic

Thread: best tips to help you reach forever

best tips to help you reach forever

A few years back I was watching some day time 'news' show. They had a couple come on that were celebrating their 80th wedding anniversary! They asked them for the best tip for a long marriage and he said, quick as a flash "knowing when to shut up." Everyone had a good laugh, but I took that away with me as a precious gem.
    What other goods tips have you heard for reaching forever with the one you love?

Showing care and compassion, understanding each other from the inside out and never betraying trust. Also you would usually have a feeling in your gut that you were born to be with that person, I feel like I am truly in love as well when I can feel safe and secure with that person

I've asked my Mum how they (Mum and Dad) made it together this long (nearly 40 years). She told me that it is humour, lots of laughter as well as knowing when to shut up. She also mentioned that the mood of the marriage is dependant on my Dad. If my dad were a serious guy, she would be a serious person as well. Lucky for her Dad is a bag full of joy and laughter, and we all grew up in a home full of laughter. I myself am married now and there's not a day goes by that both my wife and I do not laugh, no matter how small a thing it is.

Oh ya, she also mentioned to always kiss and make up before going to bed. Never bring today's problem tomorrow. It sure is helping me a lot with the wifey.

Cheers,
    Allen

Wonderful tips Allen. I too think laughter is one of the big keys for making forever a reality. If you can't laugh, you cry and well that's no fun for anybody and I also agree with never go to bed angry too.

Never stop impressing each other.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Touch each other every day (this doesn't always mean sex). Hug, kiss, connect, care.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Don't be afraid of talking to each other. About anything. About everything.

and its companion:

Always listen to each other. About anything. About everything.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

focussing on what you like about them and knowing when you're grumpy to get some space and calm before lashing out

Quote Originally Posted by devonbrown View Post
    Don't be afraid of talking to each other. About anything. About everything.

and its companion:

Always listen to each other. About anything. About everything.
    ... all the while, knowing when to shut up. :p

I find this one a hard one, on both sides. Talking about everything is difficult and I have learnt over time that some thoughts should be just kept to myself. :p
    Listening is one of the hardest things to learn how to do properly. When you listen, properly listen, being detached is an important step. You must shut your own thoughts up and focus on what the other person is communicating. Not easy, but very important.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Touch each other every day (this doesn't always mean sex). Hug, kiss, connect, care.
    And everything is small stuff!

I agree that contact is very important, as is saying I love you everyday. I cannot let my partner or our son go to sleep without hearing I love you and being hugged. My mum wasn't big on expressing affection and I have had to work very hard to learn to. You can't feel connected without contact.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, somethings are important. Maturity means knowing the difference. The person who thinks everything is small stuff is no different from the person who thinks everything is an epic crisis. You can't responsibly place trust in such a person b/c it means they lack judgement.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Sure, a lot of things are important, but the things that are inclined to get you worked up can be broken down into small stuff. Most big stuff and just big piles of small stuff. So when I added it's all small stuff I wasn't meaning everything in the universe is unimportant, I meant everything you are likely to sweat is small stuff.

Do something everyday that shows you care.
    Last edited by jb1111983; 06-05-11 at 05:54 AM.