+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Ghosts

Ghosts

I didn't know where else to enter this thread, so I'm posting here, Love Stories. This is far from a love story, it's more of a reflection on what I think about life. Having said that, every story is tied to a love story in some shape or form.

We start life one tenth the size of the period at the end of this sentence. It is at this point, we are introduced to life. I remember a quote concerning life: "your born, you make some money, and then you die".

Although rather chilling, the quote is quite true. What do we take to the grave with us? Nothing! We do what we do (while we are alive), and then we die, and as time goes on, we are forgotten - except by a few close one's, but then they too die.

We become Ghosts.

Your life as you know it, will be a BLANK slate; and time will go on.

I am posting this today, because I had an interesting conversation with a patient from a hospital I work in. She was an old woman, and she talked to me candidly about death, and how things would be when she dies, and if I would still remember her.

I was very shocked. I felt uncomfortable, and uneasy about taking about this subject. She is not a lonely person, her family does visit her. She is not afraid of death, because she believes she lived a pure life of LOVE with her freinds and family.

I on the other hand am terrified of death, becasuse I have so much I havn't done or experienced. I'm young, and want to feel love before God calls upon me.

She told me that we come into this World with a pure heart. Life is so kind and precious, that we must leave with a pure heart too.
    Last edited by RSK; 07-08-05 at 02:31 AM.

Tone Guest
    Then take more chances, live with an open mind. The girls you talk about that show interest in you - get to know them a bit better before ruling out the idea of dating them.

I think I saw Cybog say this on the forums here: "You can't catch a fish if you don't set the bait." You have to try to create opportunities to meet that someone. Unless you want to stay bottled up at home and take the chance she comes in the form of a pizza delivery girl one day.

I understand your frustration, as I go through it too... but just have to realize - our time will come. Enjoy the time we have now, be thankful we didn't just settle, like so many people do, and that we didn't rush into anything that ended up failing. Be glad we're not the people behind the posts you see here like "Just had a baby, want to leave my husband" or "Spent 10 years married to the wrong woman" etc etc..

Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    Although rather chilling, the quote is quite true. What do we take to the grave with us? Nothing! We do what we do (while we are alive), and then we die, and as time goes on, we are forgotten - except by a few close one's, but then they too die.

We become Ghosts.

Your life as you know it, will be a BLANK slate; and time will go on.
    That's a really interesting post RSK...it actually brought back a memory, when i was nine we were in a large gathering and someone asked my dad if he could what one thing woudl he take with him when he died...he said sumthing along teh lines of...why would i take something i'd liek to give sumthing to this world instead.... I never did forget those words. Because in reality it's by giving that we'll be remembered.
    Everyone has a different view on what happens after death...i personally think that you just disintegrate into those particles that once built you... however if you live on it's usually in hearts of those whose lives you touched....
    I don't think you need to find a cure for cancer if you want to be remembered....
    Helping a blind person cross the street, or helping a lil old lady w/ her grocery bags...is enough
    ...well that's what i think anyway...
    And since you know you cannot see yourself,
    so well as by reflection, I, your glass,
    will modestly discover to yourself,
    that of yourself which you yet know not of.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by XPixiedustX
    Helping a blind person cross the street, or helping a lil old lady w/ her grocery bags...is enough
    Boy Scout Slogan: Do a good turn daily.

That's all I really think is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    Boy Scout Slogan: Do a good turn daily.

That's all I really think is necessary.
    see you knwo what i don't liek about going by aslogan is that..it's liek your thinking before doing a good deed....your veiwing it as sumthing u must do, you don't HAVE do sumthing good everyday....it should come naturally...you shoudln't have to say well...i gave that hobo food...and that was my good deed of the day....

No one likes to talk about death, its a topic that most young people want to avoid - Its just something that is very uncomfortable to discuss.

It kinda sucks how life is set up, Be born, Make Money, Die.

But you should take all you can out of it, and the person you spend it with matters alot too you know, You cant just run arround - one day your just gonna have to sit.

That's a really interesting post RSK...it actually brought back a memory, when i was nine we were in a large gathering and someone asked my dad if he could what one thing woudl he take with him when he died...he said sumthing along teh lines of...why would i take something i'd liek to give sumthing to this world instead.... I never did forget those words. Because in reality it's by giving that we'll be remembered.
    Everyone has a different view on what happens after death...i personally think that you just disintegrate into those particles that once built you... however if you live on it's usually in hearts of those whose lives you touched....
    I don't think you need to find a cure for cancer if you want to be remembered....
    Thanks for your post, I enjoyed reading it, it was very heart warming!

I guess I never thought of this until now, but I recall my grandfather telling me about his father (my great grandfather). He told me his name, and showed me a painting of him. Our family was quite wealthy, so my Great Grandfather could afford a self portait of himself.

I couldn't stop thinking, if he somehow knows that his son's son's son is thinking about him, and what he was like when he was my age? And even what his parents were like, and how he grew up. I'm thinking about these things right now as I type this.........

........I wonder if my son's son's son will think about me the same way when I'm long gone from this world?

To me, my Great Grandfather is a very mysterious figure. He was a very tall man, and very well respected in his society. And that's all I know.

As for your original post, there is one thing that I can leave, and your right, it's love and kindess to others, and that will ALWAYS transcend generations effortlessly.

I'm young (22), and I can't wait to live my life. I feel I am a VERY unique individual (we all are), and this thread is more of a celebration (even though others may think different).

We live once. We die once. So I say live the best each day, and settle for nothing less.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    see you knwo what i don't liek about going by aslogan is that..it's liek your thinking before doing a good deed....your veiwing it as sumthing u must do, you don't HAVE do sumthing good everyday....it should come naturally...you shoudln't have to say well...i gave that hobo food...and that was my good deed of the day....
    And you know what I don't like about your interpretation of that slogan?

You over analzyed it.

It's not planning your day around doing somethin' nice for somebody.

It's keepin' an open mind and heart when in the event somebody could use help or assistance that you provide such service the best to your ability. It's about showin' that person(s) that there is somebody out there that cares enough to trouble their own self for the sake of another for no other reason than because they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    And you know what I don't like about your interpretation of that slogan?

You over analzyed it.

It's not planning your day around doing somethin' nice for somebody.

It's keepin' an open mind and heart when in the event somebody could use help or assistance that you provide such service the best to your ability. It's about showin' that person(s) that there is somebody out there that cares enough to trouble their own self for the sake of another for no other reason than because they want to.
    Sorry Fras... i din mean to dimiss your statement...what i was saying was that sumtime when peple think about it it becomes mechanical...I really agree with the second part of your post there....

Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    ........I wonder if my son's son's son will think about me the same way when I'm long gone from this world?
    To me, my Great Grandfather is a very mysterious figure. He was a very tall man, and very well respected in his society. And that's all I know.
    As for your original post, there is one thing that I can leave, and your right, it's love and kindess to others, and that will ALWAYS transcend generations effortlessly.
    I'm young (22), and I can't wait to live my life. I feel I am a VERY unique individual (we all are), and this thread is more of a celebration (even though others may think different).
    We live once. We die once. So I say live the best each day, and settle for nothing less.
    Well RSK i'm sure u'll definitely be remebered by your greatgrand kids and I really do believe in the last part of your post, so i personally try to live life to the fullest...cuz who likes to leave w/ regrets right?...but your young...and now's more the time to think about what you'll do while you live than worrying about death.....

Well since you all-ready know the fact that death is nothing then I do not understand how you can be afraid of it. To be afraid of death is to not understand it. The difference between someone who had no love, with a bad life and someone who had a great life, lots of love is ABSOLUTLY NOTHING. Death is the all might equilizer of all. All are equal in death because all do not exist in death. Why worry about what you didnt do before you died when anything you did never happened anyways once your dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Then take more chances, live with an open mind. The girls you talk about that show interest in you - get to know them a bit better before ruling out the idea of dating them.
    Funny how that has nothing to do with what he said. He never said he had problems with girls.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."