+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Chance to meet my ex, don't know how to go about it

Chance to meet my ex, don't know how to go about it

I haven't had direct contact with my ex in over a month. We broke up almost 2 months ago and had a 2 year relationship. She broke it off and I thought we were doing well for the circumstances. She started working for the first time and was stressing out a lot and needed more alone time to watch drama and do whatever. I gave her time to have to herself and I was a bit lonely on certain days but I figured it was something we could deal with, as if this was one of the slower stages of our relationship.

So the breakup was a shock to me. She pulled out the "lets be friends" line and I've gone through a pretty bad time in the past with another girl who I did try to be friends with so I told her I couldn't and backed out completely. I deleted her off of Facebook and off of anything we had linked together.
    I did try talking to her again a few days after the breakup but it was pointless as she always seemed distracted. She called me her best friend yet never really talked to me. I was sick of being a backup and didn't want to be friend zoned over time so I left.

Please keep in mind this was long distance and I made the effort to drive up and see her when I'm both at home and college every few weeks to be with her.

So that's the backstory: she broke off the relationship, I broke off contact

There's a convention coming up and found out she was also going. It's a 3 day event and not sure which days shell end up going to. I have to drive 4 hours to get there whereas she lives half an hour away at most. I feel like I can meet her and be okay hanging out as Friends but I'm worried shell avoid or ignore me if we meet though she told a mutual friend of ours that she wouldn't mind hanging out with us (friend is going with me).
    We haven't seen each other in person since December so I do want to see her. I emailed her a week ago asking if she wanted lunch and made clear I had no intentions of going back together because I needed time to focus on myself Especially since I'm graduating from college soon, but I feel that lunch won't bring out much conversation. I wouldn't drive several hours just for lunch and then drive all the way back for nothing, I told her i could drop by on the drive home since she's not far off the road it wouldn't be a hassle.
    Problem is she didn't reply at all and I'm 99% sure she read it.

Saying she's not worth it if she can't bother to reply won't be any helpful. I feel there's a reason why because she was the one who wanted to continue our friendship.
    I feel I could give her more time to get over it but she jumped into a new relationship a few weeks after the breakup. I think it's a rebound but I can't say for sure. I feel if she's okay dating someone new, she should be okay with a chat. I'm going to assume rebound because she broke up with me saying distance is hurting us and the new guy literally lives in Canada and we live in the south. I am planning to graduate and move to a place near her anyway and she knows this

What confuses me is that now that I am okay with friendship she backs off from me. I figure she's either annoyed by me or is hurt. I don't know why she'd be so annoyed not to say anything if I haven't apple to her in over a month. I don't know why she'd be hurt because she's moved on with someone else. In the email I told her that leaving the way I did as abruptly as I did was necessary to stop myself from hurting. I apologized also.

I'm not sure what else to put for now.

The main thing I'm concerned with is should I contact her before the convention to see if she'd like to hang out together there or just meet her in person (if possible through the crowd) and act like I didn't really know and start from there. If I should contact her earlier, how many days in advance? What should I not bring up for a casual conversation?

Thank you

I am confused.. Do you want her back? If not, why do you want to be friends?

Because I love her company. I miss her but i don't want a relationship right now. I do want friendship and maybe something down the line but I don't think I can go back to a relationship for awhile. I love her, but for now I want to go back to just being comfortable around her. I feel like I've forced us into being strangers because I left but i had to and I want to get rid of that gap.
    Last edited by HoledUp; 28-02-13 at 08:53 PM.

More than likely, she's reconsidered the friendship idea. While 'let's be friends' sounds nice, it rarely happens
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

it ended for a reason, let the past be the past and just move on. people use the "let's be friends" line as a way to make the breakup seem easier, most times they don't actually mean it. realistically how could you be "friends" with someone you once shared a romantic relationship with? it rarely ever works. since she isn't answering your text I would take that as a sign that she isn't interested in talking to you.

You cant string her along as a friend and say maybe one day. That is pointless and unfair to her. In these situations-its all or nothing. You cant stay friends with an ex so dont bother trying.