+ Follow This Topic

Thread: That breakup was the best thing that ever happened to me

That breakup was the best thing that ever happened to me

There are so many threads on here about people who can't get over their ex, or people trying to win their ex back. Does anyone out there have any stories of a relationship or breakup that they thought they would never get over but it turned out for the best? Please share

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I am often thankful I didn't get saddled with my first "true love" for the rest of my life.

why is that vashti?

We all go down this painful path in order to reach a more perfect end. I don't think you can really capture the changes in words, but rather, the progressive changes in peoples outlooks.

There are plenty of examples of this floating around the forum, myself included. I came here in frustration and distress and ended up pulling my shit together as reality slowly set in and shoved me back into the real world.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

What a great idea for a post! I've been in two long (1+ years) relationships where the other person broke up with me. For one of them, the break-up was pretty much out of the blue and the other one I saw coming a little bit and had fought hard, hard, hard to keep it from happening.

Know what? BOTH breakups were WONDERFUL things to have happen to me, though I was heartbroken and devastated at the time. Once the emotional turmoil was over and I was able to view things with my head instead of my heart, I realized that both of those men were wrong for me.

One of them was emotionally abusive, but I totally didn't see it until after we broke up. I started that relationship as strong, confident, kick-ass woman...but by the end had been turned insecure and I questioned almost everything I did. He had done that to me with his power trips, subtle "constructive criticisms", and gushing on about how gorgeous this girl or that girl was while never complimenting my looks.

Eat your heart out, Jim! You didn't have a girl as pretty and amazing as me before we went out and I seriously doubt you have since. Whereas, I long ago turned back into my awesome, kick-ass self and all my b/fs since you have been way better. Not that, that is saying much, lol! But thank-you for making me stronger. And teaching me at a young age that heartache may suck, but it will always end and life will always move on with brighter and better horizons!

I'm so glad I finally realized that being with my disinterested, beer-swilling, Everquest-addicted, trustfunder jackass of an ex-husband was tantamount to polishing a turd. I spent ten years trying to get a sheen on that thing and I never succeeded. He was draining the life out of me (beating a dead horse can be exhausting), and I have never been more grateful to myself for taking a big risk like leaving him.

It was scary and difficult, and everyone thought I was an idiot for leaving someone who took care of me financially, but I've actually seen myself come back to life in the last four years. Now I'm married to a great guy and life is good.
    Spammer Spanker

I don't think any break up has been a good break up its all so final and shit but really what you learn can make you an even better lover until you do find the one I know you are out there... out there... out there lol is there in echo in here? but i have been blessed that there are always beautiful girls around me and I never go back to a girl who would up and leave and its happend a few times dontcha know