+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Talking to a crush for the first time?

Talking to a crush for the first time?

Helloo! First off, my name is Emily. I'm new to this forum, so I just wanted to introduce myself before I jumped right into it.

Anyways, first thing you should know about me, I'm incredibly shy...at first. Once I get to know someone I'm perfectly fine talking to them about anything and I love making others laugh. But I'm a very shy person at first. Because of this, I've been having trouble approaching guys that I'm attracted to and I've missed out on a lot of opportunities. I could really use some advice on how to approach this guy that I'm kind of crushing on at the gym...

I have been going to the gym regularly since I came home from college for the summer. Normally I'm completely focused at the gym and I don't pay much attention to what's going on around me. A couple weeks ago, this guy caught my attention and ever since then I always look for him when I'm at the gym. I've been noticing him looking at me more and more when we're both at the gym and he's been using machines near me more often. We've made eye contact a few times, but I really want to approach him and have an actual conversation with him. He seems like a really nice guy and I want to get to know him. the only problem is, I have no idea how to approach him without making a complete fool of myself. I just keep thinking, what if he has a girlfriend? or what if he's really not interested? So I guess my question is, how can I approach this guy and get talking to him a little bit more?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Why do you have worry about those things at first? Just put all that aside and focus on a light conversation with no expectations. Just get on a machine beside him and say "how's it going?" give him a smile and a nod, then wait for a response. If it doesn't get far do it again the next day and say hi to him....then make a comment about how busy it is in there or how nice the weather has been.....just build up a rapport with him over time. Once you get over the awkwardness then you ask those personal questions.

Thank you for the post! I've been trying to work up the confidence to do that and today I sat on the mat next to him to stretch. I'm just having a hard time working up the nerve to actually say something to him. I'm 20 years old and I've never actually approached a guy like this before, so I'm a little nervous. But we'll see how it goes!

I like I said just say "how's it goin eh?" or something of similar meaning....that would be the Canadian version lol.