+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How can I turn an acquaintance into a date?

How can I turn an acquaintance into a date?

Okay, I have this friend/acquaintance I know through a class I had with her a couple years ago. We are friends on facebook, and on AIM...we talk once in a blue moon, but nothing more. If we see each other on campus we say hi as well. (which we no longer bump into each other on campus) Everytime I try to talk to her on AIM, she is usually busy so our converstations dont go very far which I understand. Is there any way I can turn this into a date eventually? I do not like the idea of just asking to hangout over AIM, but I dont have her number or anything. So I think my best situation may be to just ask her if she'd like to hang out and catch up over lunch and talk since we're usually pretty busy when we try to talk online.

Any other suggestions? My biggest fear is that Im going to come on too strong and creepy when we dont really talk that much, but maybe Im thinking too much of it.

Thanks

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    details please. your and her ages?
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

We're both 22, almost college graduates. Looking for anything in particular beyond that detail wise?

Ah, it's a tough situation. It's not like you run into her anymore and people that matter usually don't get the I'm busy and all that. Every time. It'd be different if you ran into her again and had a fun little chat and you could gauge her reaction from that. Over AIM, it's tough. With somebody you aren't close to, it's difficult to be spontaneous as well (since she is so busy and all)

It's your only option though. You could either do it or not, hoping somewhere down the line you run into her by chance. How can you handle that

The keyword is acquaintances. How do you catch up with somebody you didn't know that well in the first place?

I would ask her to do something sometime on AIM, and just say that she seemed like a nice and fun girl and you'd love to hang out sometime and get to know her better.

Are you having a tough time with the dating world right now? To go for an acquaintance seems like a stretch. I've been broken up for six months and I'm a bit desperate myself and it's really ruined my chances with girls that even agreed to go on dates with me. Then again I suck at being myself but still, just curious.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacattack1 View Post
    Are you having a tough time with the dating world right now? To go for an acquaintance seems like a stretch. I've been broken up for six months and I'm a bit desperate myself and it's really ruined my chances with girls that even agreed to go on dates with me. Then again I suck at being myself but still, just curious.
    I like your angle and Im fine, ive known her for almost 5 years and we ran into eachother last year and we talked for about 15 or 20 min and for the next five or so months we might run into each other and talk for a few min every few weeks or so...so I dont know if acquaintance is the right term, i know what shes doing with her career and she knows what im doing with my career and how things are going...the reason is ive always been a little interested in her; I know she is a very sponataneous and outgoing girl who is fun to talk to. so she is someone id like to get to know better. I never persued when we had our class because I dropped that class and it was the first time in my life I couldnt do math (of course someone forgot to tell me I should have had calc1 before taking that class), so its always been a person Im friendly with, but never hung out with or knew too much. Last november I broke up with my gf of three years and I think im ready to start dating again. While I was with my gf we would randomly facebook each other or talk on AIM, just a hey how are you, havent talked to you in a while.

So thats why...its not a total whim, its someone who Ive always had a little bit of interest in and would like to get to know more