+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How effective are condoms?>>

How effective are condoms?>>

Hey everyone

Here is a question, I know a lot of people use the pill and condoms combined, currently i only use condoms Im going to the doctor to get the pill next week, Ive said before that id rather not change my hormone balance through the pill but the extra safety may stop me worrying every month. Anyway I wanted to know just how safe everyone thinks only using condoms is? and if it really is worth me going on the pill? honestly without the scare mongering!

They're very effective. But I always say; the safer you can be, the better. It's not worth it to have to face the un-planned consequences.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Condoms are very effective if you use them correctly! But I agree with TAVS. The safer you are, the better. I am on the pill, and quite honestly, I love it! No more guessing on periods, no more pregnancy scares. And if one birth control doesn't work right, just try another one. It really isn't bad. It's more of a relief than anything. There is also the depot vera shot. If you haven't heard about it, it's a shot you get every three months. It's the pill in injectable form. Unfortunately, they have to inject it in a buttock muscle....*ouch*

I recommend the pill. If the condom breaks, then you don't worry your brains out. I seriously love the pill and I tell all my sexually active friends to get it. I would recommend OrthoTricyclen or OrthoTricylen Lo, if the normal stuff isn't effective. Another one is Sesonale. Lovely stuff! It doesn't work for me; it's too high hormone, but it's great stuff! You only get a period every 3 months, or 4 times a year. Talk to a doctor and they can help you pick out what's best for you.

I've heard more bad things than good about the shot, but 9/10 people who I spoke to who are on the pill recommend it.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The pill is awesome, once you find the one that works for you. Personally I had to try 3 different kinds before I found one that doesn't give me side effects like Nausea and major mood swings. Finally I found Yasmin and it worked great! I think the other pills I tried had too high of hormones. I know Orthotricylcen didn't work well for me. But, I see now they have the lower dosage one.

Talk to your doc. They do have free samples. Try one kind and see how you feel on it. If you like it, she/he can write you a prescription for that kind. If you don't, they have PLENTY of different kinds you can try until you find the one that works for you. Mainly, Im telling you this because some people try one kind of pill and if they can't tolerate it right, they give up on it. Don't! Try one that works for you, and if u do find one, think about the benefits!

I know for me they made my periods lighter. I also always knew when to expect them. Also, i broke out less on my face right before that time of the month. Also, having had sex and having the condom break a few times, I wasn't nearly as worried! The pill worked!

I think the only real disadvantage of the pill is that sometimes it can effect your libido. You might not have the desire for sex as much. But, the pros outweigh the cons.
    Last edited by Ellynn; 06-07-06 at 02:08 PM.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Ellynn... question. You said it effects your sexual desire. Now tell me something, is that consistent throughout the entire night? Like say your significant other persuaded you into having a romantic evening together. AFTER you start getting into it, does your desire change and you more or less "want it" at that point?

Ellynn voiced what I was trying to say. She's absolutely right too! Take her advice!
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

"Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by blue toxin
    Ellynn... question. You said it effects your sexual desire. Now tell me something, is that consistent throughout the entire night? Like say your significant other persuaded you into having a romantic evening together. AFTER you start getting into it, does your desire change and you more or less "want it" at that point?

Well I might go with the flow with things, but I may not get there, if you know what im saying. Another thing I've noticed is that when I wasn't around my significant other, I rarely thought about sex, which is a change from before I was on the pill. I guess it kinda takes some of the passion or desire away. But yeah if things were going good and I was in the mood which was set by my bf at the time, yeah things would be fine. It just took more for me to get into things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellynn
    Well I might go with the flow with things, but I may not get there, if you know what im saying. Another thing I've noticed is that when I wasn't around my significant other, I rarely thought about sex, which is a change from before I was on the pill. I guess it kinda takes some of the passion or desire away. But yeah if things were going good and I was in the mood which was set by my bf at the time, yeah things would be fine. It just took more for me to get into things.
    So once you crossed the bridge of getting "initiated," things just went smoothly from there?

I just wasn't sure if it downright devastated your sex life, and even 45 minutes after trying to get into it you just laid there like "shit, when is he going to be done so I can get some sleep?!"

"Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by blue toxin
    So once you crossed the bridge of getting "initiated," things just went smoothly from there?

I just wasn't sure if it downright devastated your sex life, and even 45 minutes after trying to get into it you just laid there like "shit, when is he going to be done so I can get some sleep?!"

LOL, well it actually depends how smoothly they went. I know when I was first on the pill,(one that really effected my mood), I remember laying there and crying with my bf at the time. It was awful! And when I look back at why I was crying, I can't think of a single damn reason! Luckily, I took the advice of others and switched to a different one. That one worked out a bit better. I mean I still had a desire, but its not quite as strong as when I wasn't on the pill.

It didn't devestate my sex life, just made it harder to get in the mood sometimes. It really effects everyone differently. Some people experience no change in their desire, while others experience a huge change.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to add how it made me dryer then the sahara desert sometimes as well. Luckily they invented lube to help things along. But, honestly other then that, it wasn't so bad being on the pill. I had a few times where the condom didnt quite work, so Im glad I was on the pill. Couldn't see myself a mommy right now.... even though I'm almost 25.

sorry it took so long to reply. I think I'll go on the pill then will call the doctors and get it sorted it will stop me worrying about the state of the condom so thats got to be a good thing! Thanks everyone

its efektive but not 100% sure