+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Facing the past

Facing the past

So, as most of you probably know, I am a rather vocal supporter of turning your back and leaving the past behind. Most of the time it works in my favor, but I realized today that it also holds me back.

A while back, I dated a girl who pretty much screwed me six ways from Sunday. The breakup was something beyond nasty and never ending. We finally parted ways and I completely shut the door on it all. When it's over with me, it's over. I don't look back and I severe all lines of communication or interaction. This was no different than any other time. I was pissed and hit the breaking point.

Well, karma reared its ugly head here a year and change later. She and the guy we split up over broke up for whatever reason. She got in contact with me and asked me to go to coffee, telling me that she really would like me as a friend. I slept on it for a while, because I had seen these things before from her. For whatever reason, I had a gut feeling that this time might be different.

I have long since let go of any romantic feelings for her, so I came to the table knowing exactly where I stood. We talked for a little while before class and just caught up on life in general. We didn't talk about anything related to the past, which was good. I think my gut was right, she was composed and herself, but her eyes told a different story. Granted I hadn't interacted with her in a long time, everything I sensed tells me she is alone and just reaching out for a friend(s). Time will tell if I am right or not, either way, nothing lost.

I have had a seething hatred for her for a long time now. Sitting down and talking to her reminded me that she is a human being and not perfect. I wont forget what she did, but I finally feel truly at ease about everything, like a huge load has been taken off of my shoulders. I didn't realize just how much of a burden I have been putting on myself, hating her. My personality has been altered for sometime now over what happened, and reinforced by my own stubbornness.

I feel like I am slowly turning back into the person I was before all of this. A friendlier, happier person who is much less critical about other people and things. It's been too long since I have felt like the person I am. Who knew that harboring hatred would be a double edged sword.

I don't want to kiss the sky and leave this world holding fast to hate for someone. I am better than that.
    Last edited by Cbrider; 01-12-09 at 01:20 PM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes, hatred destroys the vessel that contains it. I'm glad you are able to let it go and come back to being more like yourself.

Pussy, you are going to take her back. I can see it already. lol just kidding. Getting shit off your chest feels good.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Pussy, you are going to take her back.
    I make a lot of mistakes, that wont be one of them!

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I do believe in karma to a certain extent...

and...

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

It's really advisable that you go back to your past and try to settle any past issues that you have. Try to be friends or if not, then try to talk things out. Try to discuss what went wrong and tel how you feel. That way, you would be free from any guilt or any unfinished business.
    http://www.sohodealsdiscounts.com/smb-deals/overnightprints.com-promotion-codes/]overnightprints discount

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It really takes a load off your shoulders when you don't carry that around anymore.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I'm so glad you posted this, rider. I hope all of the angry people see it.
    Spammer Spanker

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeh its not good to be angry and bitter..i spent a while feeling that for my ex- we still dont get on and if im honest i do still have a little bit of anger towards him but mostly i am past caring.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.