+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girls, is there ANYTHING I can say to make this better?

Girls, is there ANYTHING I can say to make this better?

I believe I've told my story around here before; I'll try to sum it up as briefly as I can. As a little preface, let me just say that I HATE social networking "MySpace/ Facebook" sites. Ugh, so frustrating (yet relevant).

There was a girl I knew for about 8 years when I was in grade school. I was so crazy about her the entire time, and I think I can say that, without a doubt, she was the first (and so far, only) girl I've loved. I was too shy, then, though; she warmed up a tiny bit to me towards the end of grade school, though, but grade school was over before I knew it. I really missed her, afterward; I don't know that I ever truly "got over" her. I just buried it as deep down inside myself as I could.

Fast forward to one year ago. By pure dumb luck, I found her MySpace page. We got back in touch, and she was surprisingly happy to hear from me. The more I got to know her, the more my feelings started bubbling back up; I kept them in check as best I could, though. After all, I hadn't seen her in years. Fairly early on, I made an offhand comment about seeing her in person again one of these days, and she responded fairly positively, which made me happy. We maintained a pretty good level of communication online for months.

Then I made my first mistake... While she was going through a rough time in her life, I stupidly thought it'd be a good idea to directly ask about meeting up in person with her. Didn't make it sound like a date, or anything; just two old classmates seeing each other again and catching up (which is basically all I wanted all along; sure, I might have old feelings for her, but I want to interact with her in person to get a feel for the chemistry, I wanted to do things the "normal" way). She got the message, but never responded back to me on it.

Embarrassed, I stopped writing to her for months, but kept thinking back about it. Finally, a little after this past Christmas, I sucked it up, and wrote a nice little message wishing her a late merry Christmas. I didn't hear from her for a while, and I thought things were looking pretty bad, but then she surprised me and wrote back. She seemed to be ready to start writing with me again, but shortly after, she stopped answering my messages once more. Tired of playing these silly games, and having to beat around the bush for so long, I decided to "put it all on the line"; I wrote up a big message explaining that I know I had acted pretty weird with her on MySpace, but I'm just not good with this online stuff; I acknowledged that I liked her a lot when we were kids, and I simply said to her that I couldn't help but be curious to see if there could still be anything there now; I peppered in some humor to keep the message upbeat, then sent it off as a private message.

Never got an answer from her. Unfortunately, I shot myself in the foot with that last message; why? Because I've had trouble with MySpace's private messaging system in the past. I've sent a number of PMs to friends before, and they never received those messages. So, while I'm not trying to give myself "false hope", I can't help but wonder where, exactly, I stand with her. Did she get the message? Or did she never even see it?

I know what you guys are probably thinking, that this whole thing just isn't worth all the trouble. And maybe you're right. But I can't stop wondering about what could be. I just don't feel like I've gotten the appropriate "closure" from this, and thus, I'm not ready to just give up on her. Don't get me wrong; I don't mean that in a "creepy, obsessed, stalker" kind of way. I'd certainly never do anything crazy, nothing that invades her privacy, or puts her in harm (physical or emotional). Heck, even if there's absolutely no potential for a "romantic relationship" here, I just miss talking to her online. :/ It was so nice getting to write back and forth with her, I hate that I don't even have that with her, anymore.

So, it's like the topic title says. Is there anything at all I can do or say to ease the awkwardness between her and I, and maybe get things on the right track between us again? Figured I'd ask the girls, here, as maybe you can give me some better insight on what might be going on in her head to help me understand the situation better. She's especially on my mind a lot today, because today's her birthday. I pondered on sending her a "happy birthday" message some time today, but looking back, she didn't even seem to notice when I did so last year (although, I was just another face in a group of her friends sending her "happy birthday" messages that day, so I could've just gotten lost in the mix), so maybe there's no point with that. Still, though... Is there any way to patch things up with her? Not that I'm asking for something that'll instantly undo everything bad that has happened between us, but at least get me on the right track to start mending this?

You're right. This whole thing is not worth the trouble.

If it is that important to you, why don't you just send a simple message saying:

Hi *name*,
    I've send you a message a while ago and was wondering if you received it, since I have gotten no reply.
    Sincerely,
    you.

Then wait for a week and see if you receive a reply. If you do, and she says yes, then very simply and politely ask if there was a reason she didn't reply.

It's not that hard.

Good luck with that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If she were interested in having a relationship or friendship with you, she'd write you back. She either isn't interested or is maybe too busy with other people right now. Either way, if you keep writing her it will probably just annoy her and frustrate you.

Chalk her up as the grade school crush that she is and move on. There are plenty of girls out there that you don't have to work this hard to get to know.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Sorry to bump this topic up, but I recently came upon some interesting information; see, in about a month, I'll be taking sort of a road trip out of state, and I'll just happen to be passing through this girl's city on the way there. I know her and I have kind of hit a low point here, but this just seems like a really good opportunity to get to meet up with her; would it really be a bad idea to write and ask her about maybe taking a little time that day to hang out for a little while, chat, etc.? And what would be a good way to word a message like that, anyway? I know that's kind of a silly question to ask, but I just want to make sure I don't say anything too "out there" that really scares her off, like I probably did the last couple of times, yanno? Anyway, if this is a possibility, I prolly won't ask her about it for at least a few more weeks, since the trip itself is still about a month off; no point in asking her now, and then having to hope she'll hold on to that for the next month. Still, this seems like a really good opportunity, but... what do you guys think?