+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone noticed

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Has anyone noticed

that the same people to celebrate and glorify foreign societies and cultures are the same ones to only point out all the flaws of society in the US, particularly the southern US?

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    that the same people to celebrate and glorify foreign societies and cultures are the same ones to only point out all the flaws of society in the US, particularly the southern US?
    Yep... Keep asking them why they left their country in the first place, if it's so great... but I never get an answer...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Or the plethora of "intellectual" self-hating whites. That group is equally loud

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Or the plethora of "intellectual" self-hating whites. That group is equally loud

Oh yeah... have a ton of those in Dallas...

Went to a restaurant with a live band... it was a white guy singing about how the 'white man' owes the black man for all the wrong he had done... The restaurant was occupied by mostly white, middle-class people... All the women were clapping... but the men, well, they looked rather disgruntled.

I for one... wasn't sure if the room was going to break out in cheers or jeers... Very, very awkward time... Doubt I'll be going back there ever again.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ever notice that most of the people that hate foreigners and think the american white man is the greatest thing in the world are from the US? More specifically from the south? My bro-in-laws wife is from South Carolina, and her family hates anything that isn't American, white, Christian, or Republican. It's ridiculous.

Just sayin'.

Find some balance. You're allowed to both appreciate and criticize your country, and you're allowed to both appreciate and criticize foreign culture. Just don't go overboard in any case.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ever notice how the people who consider themselves the most patriotic are the same ones who tell others to leave the country if they don't like something? The first to deny another man his freedom of speech.

Ever notice those folks are often from the south?
    Last edited by Gribble; 27-03-09 at 03:11 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Ever notice that most of the people that hate foreigners and think the american white man is the greatest thing in the world are from the US? More specifically from the south? My bro-in-laws wife is from South Carolina, and her family hates anything that isn't American, white, Christian, or Republican. It's ridiculous.
    It's too bad you get your statistics from a sample size of 1

It's also too bad you don't have any broad experience with the US south, and instead have to rely on the old stereotype of the white Christian southern man. Good job fighting stereotypes with stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Ever notice how the people who consider themselves the most patriotic are the same ones who tell others to leave the country if they don't like something? The first to deny another man his freedom of speech.

Ever notice those folks are often from the south?
    Nice job fighting stereotypes with stereotypes again

First thing, your example of someone hindering freedom of speech isn't actually hindering anyones freedom of speech. Second thing, the "if you don't like it, leave it" attitude is shown to people who try to uproot the very core of an established society

But anyways, keep going with the stereotypes on US southerners. Because so far the responses have been from the same people who glorify other cultures and societies and fight stereotypes of those other societies, yet are the first stereotype the US south. It's the one group we can all stereotype and get away with

Something else that's kind of funny- It's also OK to hate on and stereotype, or voice disgust, at ethnic Germans. The largest (white) ancestry in most of the south is German

DM, I'm not really sure what your point is.

I mean, ever notice how the people that glorify nudity are the same ones who point out all the flaws and problems with clothing?

Isn't that kind of a self-evident statement? Or a I missing something?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your analogy is nothing like what I said

My "point" is to point out a very artificial and contrived view of the world and its societies

Hm. I guess I'm just reading your original comment the wrong way somehow. :/

With all of these stereotypes about the south... I'm feeling a little conspicuous... Maybe it's not such a good idea to have Dallas TX displayed...

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    With all of these stereotypes about the south... I'm feeling a little conspicuous... Maybe it's not such a good idea to have Dallas TX displayed...
    I don't think Texas is grouped in with the South...

Texas has its own set of stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    I don't think Texas is grouped in with the South...

Texas has its own set of stereotypes

Hehe... we still got southern pride here too... head to Deep East Texas sometime... you'll see it... confederate flags and everything... and dare I say... even the stereotypical rednecks...

But it is true... there seems to be many stereotypes about Texas... ahem... apparently we all wear cowboy hats, are predominantly white, electrocute the retarded, and everyone has a 4x4...

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    But it is true... there seems to be many stereotypes about Texas... ahem... apparently we all wear cowboy hats, are predominantly white, electrocute the retarded, and everyone has a 4x4...
    Where I worked (in NM - where they wear cowboy hats too!) Texans were always the ones with an obnoxious amount of state pride. Not surprising. "Where's our Massachusetts crew?" "Woooo!" "where are those Minnesotans?" "Woooooooo!" "How about the Texans?" "WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWE*(@#&&&&&&&&GGGGGGGGGGG GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYY YYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH HWELOVETEXASWELOVETEXASLONESTARSTATEFOREVERGOSPURS GOWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!11!"
    Last edited by lovesjoyajm; 27-03-09 at 05:38 AM. Reason: forgot some exclamation points

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    Where I worked (in NM - where they wear cowboy hats too!) Texans were always the ones with an obnoxious amount of state pride. Not surprising. "Where's our Massachusetts crew?" "Woooo!" "where are those Minnesotans?" "Woooooooo!" "How about the Texans?" "WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWE*(@#&&&&&&&&GGGGGGGGGGG GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYY YYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH HWELOVETEXASWELOVETEXASLONESTARSTATEFOREVERGOSPURS GOWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!11!"

What can I say? Texans got a lot more love for their state..

- James Allen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast