+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'd get my ass beat...

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I'd get my ass beat...

...in most fights, I think...

I realized this tonight...I could've been involved in a brawl with a this black guy...he wasn't that big...but for me...I'm kinda small, and light.

I stood up for Amy, but it was just dumb, wasn't smart at all I realized...worse when I've never been involved in a fight, and if I were, I probably would just get my ass handed to me.

Even though I'm glad I stood up for Ames...this has really shaken up my self-confidence.

I'm wondering if I should do something about this...

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Buy a gun. I like being armed

Take up something, it'll increase your confidence 10 fold. Atm, I do Thai boxing, used to do boxing. Years ago, I didn't have much confidence in that respect, but now I'm a cocky **** because I know I can defend myself and people around me if I have to. My trainers words, not mine.

The way I see it is, you've have to be strong enough to protect the ones you love. If you ain't, who will?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Deagle .50AE, FTW

It can put a 2 foot hole in anything made out of flesh

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Forget fighting ... you're the bigger man for not getting into anything ...
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by tooxshort View Post
    Forget fighting ... you're the bigger man for not getting into anything ...
    But then what do you do when you have to fight?

anachronistic Guest
    I'm sure you could've handled yourself. It is not the strength or the size of the person, but the will behind their soul. If you really wanted to defend her, you could have.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi View Post
    But then what do you do when you have to fight?
    That's where I'm at.

I'd at least like to know I can take/avoid a hit, because I don't think I could do much damage with what I know now.

Build up confidence. You don't need muscles or heavy weight to be successful. All you need is to pay attention. Look around you, what do you see? A possible killer device? A bottle? Chair?
    Oh, and never crush a bottle before hitting someone, you will end up with nothing. Crush it on your opponents head instead, and after that, push it into his throat or eye, that should leave a mark.

Always keep your hands ready, when in tight situations. You don't need to hit, but just block. And always block sideways, don't take the hit directly, but push the opponents arm away sideways and kick his knee with your leg while on it.

The smartest way to handle these kind of situations, of course, is to avoid getting punched. For that, I suggest a machete, chop his hands off before he can hit you, so you can take the lead. It doesn't have to be a pro weapon, a cheap one will do also.
    Last edited by boobaa; 17-02-08 at 09:12 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The thing that bothered me about the approach was that when I found out this guy had told off and given my girlfriend the finger (I had just walked into the bathroom), somethin' just triggered as we were making our way out to the car, and I rushed back to the coffee shop (a coffee shop!) without thinking. I definitely didn't think it through at all.

I was irritated this guy acted this way to my girlfriend, when all she was doing was looking around, apparently she locked eyes with him one too many times and he took it offensively. I was also pissed I wasn't there when this all took place.

I wasn't thinking...at all.

That should probably be the first thing I should do, eh?

You've got the idea, Fras. Do the thinking part first, then the action.

I would encourage you to go out and find some form of kickboxing, martial art, self defense class and try it out, though. It will give you a complete change in attitude, and you'll find that after a while, situations like the one you stated don't get your adrenaline going to the point that you rely on instinct completely.

I've only been taking a blend of the above for a short period of time, but I've found that if I'm out with my girl and something like what you mentioned occurs, a simple, "Is there a problem here?" with some direct and fierce eye contact is enough for most guys to back off.

~Sphinx
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. ~Faithless, Reverence.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSphinx View Post
    I've only been taking a blend of the above for a short period of time, but I've found that if I'm out with my girl and something like what you mentioned occurs, a simple, "Is there a problem here?" with some direct and fierce eye contact is enough for most guys to back off.

~Sphinx
    I'm not usually as confrontational as I was. Like I said, I didn't know that event occurred at all until we had left the shop, she didn't mention anything the 10 minutes we were sitting there after I had gotten back.

Amy has been in situations before where I regretted I wasn't around to back her up. I guess I ran back out of regret for (once again) having not been there...when I was only 15 feet away.

Anyway...I've discussed this with Amy before, she has a tendency to "stare" at people alot without thinking about it. Like, she constantly locks eyes with them, and while maybe in Texas, where she claims it's polite to acknowledge somebody via eye contact, where I come from (Philly), it can definitely be perceived as rude/aggressive. Comin' from a city, I usually just avoid eye contact, and I rarely greet people on the streets. So on that level, I can see why this guy (although unnecessarily) reacted the way he did.

I guess such things only happen in redneck countries...
    Don't expect anything.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    I guess such things only happen in redneck countries...
    I don't get it.

...where I come from (Philly), it can definitely be perceived as rude/aggressive. Comin' from a city, I usually just avoid eye contact, and I rarely greet people on the streets. So on that level, I can see why this guy (although unnecessarily) reacted the way he did.
    Yeah, I can definitely see this.

I was raised in a small southern city, and it was tough to grasp the concept of no eye contact when I eventually adventured to big cities.

It's strange how in one area eye contact is considered respectful, while in another, not two hours away, the same eye contact is considered disrespectful or even a challenge.

They are different areas though, and have resulted in the formation of different mannerisms, which, though inconvenient at times, I tend to enjoy.

~Sphinx
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. ~Faithless, Reverence.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast