+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What to talk about

What to talk about

I plan to look over the net for some answers to this question or any exciting things I can dig up but.....

So I'm going to dinner and a movie with my girl. As most of you know, we're separated right now cause she needs some time to 'find herself' or something. We went to a movie just last Saturday as well. I was strong and acted like I would with any other random friend. Anyway, we've never had a problem with conversation in the past but lately it seems I dont really know what to say. We both kinda lead boring lives so when we dont have a lot of shared activities to discuss or plans to make, I think it makes things tough.

Do any of ya'll have any quality conversation topics? Remember, this is someone I've known for 4+ years so we're way beyond the basic discussions like "What do you like to do for fun." Movie time is no problem, but dinner is another story. I want to make the conversation interesting so she enjoys my company.

If I dont get any anwers, that's okay but I thought I'd ask.

TAVS----"We both kinda lead boring lives so when we dont have a lot of shared activities to discuss or plans to make, I think it makes things tough."

I can't think of topics for you, but can suggest an alternative.

1) Listen to her. Let her talk. Once she finds you're listening, really listening, she'll probably talk about what's on her mind.
    2) If there is a lull in conversation, leave it. Silence. Watch her body language.

Thanks Chlorine. Things went alright last night. Dinner went alright but could have went better. She didn't like the movie at all, War of the Worlds. We did have a really intelligent talk about the film industry and the struggle to make New quality films on the drive home so we ended on a good note. It's really hard at times because I can't say what I really want to say because I know it's not what she wants to hear/talk about. I know its stupid but I dont want to say anything that might tick her off, you know, I hate to disagree with anything she says. I do but i have to pick my battles and avoid being too strong.

I'll keep what you said in mind for next time. I don't know when that will be but I'm sure she'll call soon. I can tell she's missing me but I'm keeping my distance. I don't really know if we can overcome this experience but I'm willing to stick it out and hopefully have a chance to try.
    Last edited by TAVS; 19-07-05 at 10:25 PM.

Tone Guest
    Glad to hear TAVS, stay strong and hopefully everything will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    Thanks Chlorine. Things went alright last night. Dinner went alright but could have went better. She didn't like the movie at all, War of the Worlds. We did have a really intelligent talk about the film industry and the struggle to make New quality films on the drive home so we ended on a good note. It's really hard at times because I can't say what I really want to say because I know it's not what she wants to hear/talk about. I know its stupid but I dont want to say anything that might tick her off, you know, I hate to disagree with anything she says. I do but i have to pick my battles and avoid being too strong.

I'll keep what you said in mind for next time. I don't know when that will be but I'm sure she'll call soon. I can tell she's missing me but I'm keeping my distance. I don't really know if we can overcome this experience but I'm willing to stick it out and hopefully have a chance to try.

Why not disagreeing with something she says? If you disagree, well that's your opinion. You're not being yourself if you agree on everything she says. Know what? I hate it when someone does that. Then I try to find some statement that's absolutely ridiculous, and if he or she even agrees on that, they'll never see me again. Okay, don't fight everything she says, she wouldn't like that either but hang on to your own opinion. By disagreeing you can get some nice discussions, something to talk about... (Side note - I'm a discussion loving type )

I said it was stupid. And it's hard to explain so I described it as best I can. It's not that I disagree with everything, I'm just selective. Like we debated the whole movie thing but I haven't once said the large tatoo she got last week was something she'll regret. I told her I wasn't a fan, but I left it at that.

Hmm, dinners are for eating.
    Don't expect anything.