+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I'm totally out of my depth!

I'm totally out of my depth!

I'm at uni and I've met someone that I really like in one of my tutorial classes. I've had ten weeks to talk to her and it's only up until now I've managed to say something.

Yesterday I waited around for an hour for her and just managed to catch her and walk her back to her flat. Now, it didn't exactly go badly, but it didn't exactly go well. I got really nervous and said some stuff I look back on and cringe. But, today in my tutorial I sat next to her but she didn't say anything to me. Well not to anyone really.

My problem is I feel so out of my depth with her. She's great and she looks amazing. But not only that I've seen some pictures of some of the people that she hangs around with and some of the guys I really REALL couldn't compete with. They make me look about 10 and I'm 19! That’s never good.

There are 2 days left of lectures and I find it really had to find a chance to speak to her there if she even turns up. My problem is, is that she's going to go away back home for the Christmas break in I about 2 weeks I reckon, and I've got no way to contact her!

What in gods name do I do!

I could message her on facebook (sort of like bebo or facepart but more uni orientated) but I think that that would be really lame! What’s everyones take on that? But how else do I get her number, or even her to talk to me. I really don't want to give up here.

Basically, just muster up the courage to talk to her in lecture, that is all you can do. Don't do the whole facebook thing, thats so year 11. Think of it this way, if she turns you away, at least you know instead of thinking "what if...". If she does, then congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian View Post
    Basically, just muster up the courage to talk to her in lecture, that is all you can do. Don't do the whole facebook thing, thats so year 11. Think of it this way, if she turns you away, at least you know instead of thinking "what if...". If she does, then congratulations.
    Thats what I was thinking, but I think that all the time. I've worked up the courage to talk to her, it's just getting the chance that I've got a problem with.

Pray she goes to lecture, if not, wait until the christmas break is over.

Basically you think she's 'out of your league'? I had a problem with this same issue of 'leagues' not too long ago. Basically I concluded that people are only out of another's league if the people in question believe so [for example, if you think she's out of your league [which you do seem to think] or if she thinks she's out of your league, or something]. I think it's a bit of a self-esteem issue. I believe you should try to just throw out this whole idea that people are out of your league [because you don't really know if THEY believe they are out of your league unless they tell you, right?]. If you keep thinking that you won't ever do anything and never find out if she'd ACTUALLY go out with you or not. So, I'd just try to stop thinking about that and take action... or try talking with her more, get more comfortable, flirt, etc. and see where it goes. I think if you want to try something, then you gotta go for it sometime. It's better than regretting.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    Basically you think she's 'out of your league'?...I think it's a bit of a self-esteem issue. I believe you should try to just throw out this whole idea that people are out of your league [because you don't really know if THEY believe they are out of your league unless they tell you, right?]...
    Aw if only it was that easy. I try and forget about it and just go for it but there's just something there telling me not to. The couple of times I've just though, aw to hell with it, and gone and talked to her I've been so glad I did... even though it could have been better.

The fact that she didnt talk to me the day after makes me think that I've blown it a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian
    Pray she goes to lecture
    didn't see her today...

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal
    try talking with her more, get more comfortable, flirt

Quote Originally Posted by j_knox View Post
    Aw if only it was that easy. I try and forget about it and just go for it but there's just something there telling me not to. The couple of times I've just though, aw to hell with it, and gone and talked to her I've been so glad I did... even though it could have been better.
    Well, it isn't that easy, at least not at first. It's the first couple times that are hardest. And as you get practice doing that, it gets easier too. It's a matter of getting past the mindblock [which can be very difficult]. What I bolded, albeit it is a negative outlook in sorts, is the sort of mindset you should be having. You should just think, 'oh, let's just talk to her. let's go for it'. And look, you were 'so glad you did' that afterwards. So why not just do it again? Don't feel that because she didnt go to talk to you that she wouldn't mind talking to you again. I'd say give it at least one more shot and see how it goes.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?