+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pessimism vs. Optimism

anachronistic Guest

Pessimism vs. Optimism

Is your glass half empty or half full?

Is there any gray areas between optimism and pessimism?

I'm starting to think I see things as they are; good overruled by bad; yet I see hope in everything. I see beauty in everything.

Just searching for a word.

I don't see any future. Sometimes I wonder how some people manage to get through their lives by just sitting around, they get a decent job, family etc, but yet they actually do nothing...
    Don't expect anything.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    I don't see any future. Sometimes I wonder how some people manage to get through their lives by just sitting around, they get a decent job, family etc, but yet they actually do nothing...
    Exactly.

That's what I don't wanna do.

Which is why I'm looking to move back to NOLA...

I recognize that my glass is at least half-full, even when I don't feel like drinking out of it.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post

Is there any gray areas between optimism and pessimism?
    Yeah; it's called realism.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The glass is too big

"Expect the worse and everything else is a bonus"

Sure proof way to prevent disappointment. However, I think it only applies to things you don't have complete power over. For example, a job interview. To me, life is 'bout self improvement, mentally and physically. And in my opinion, if you want to be successful YOU have to be optimistic WITH realism and be able to separate the two. Be realistic in your goals but optimistic in your approaches. You'll find people are often too optimistic in their goals, which sometimes if not always results in failure. Thus, pessimism is born. Pessimism is the result of being too optimistic, to the point that the goals and aims one sets is impossible to achieve within the paradigm of realism.

But yeah, I'm prob' talkin' shit so I won't expect much in regards to discussion 'bout my post.

Last edited by Kiechi; 27-12-07 at 08:41 AM.

anachronistic Guest
    Yeah; I was just writing earlier about optimism and pessimism, I realized that I am both optimistic and pessimistic, like Kiechi described: expecting the absolute worst but with hope.

I'd say i'm an optimistic person, but my mom would say i'm very negative. guess it's both. I've been trying to notice good things lately.. because it's too easy to bitch about what annoys you, and not appreciate what you do get.

The glass is half full if you're pouring it, and half empty if you're drinking it. Everyone knows that.

I realize there is no glass. It doesn't matter. If you want to believe that the world is pretty pretty butterflies and beautiful rainbows than go ahead..but the truth is ugly no matter what your perception of the world is. There is thousands of starving kids in other countries to prove that. The fact is that you don't exist. you are here for a few years(maybe)..than you go back to where you started....nowhere/ non-existance....kind of nullifying anything you did while you were alive..or in other words making anything you do pointless anyways.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 27-12-07 at 03:53 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    I realize there is no glass. It doesn't matter. If you want to believe that the world is pretty pretty butterflies and beautiful rainbows than go ahead..but the truth is ugly no matter what your perception of the world is. There is thousands of starving kids in other countries to prove that. The fact is that you don't exist. you are here for a few years(maybe)..than you go back to where you started....nowhere/ non-existance....kind of nullifying anything you did while you were alive..or in other words making anything you do pointless anyways.
    If we don't exist, then how do you know the world is ugly? Surely, if we don't exist then nor do the starving children. So in fact, the starving children does not illustrate anything. You reach the conclusion that "truth" is ugly based on false premises.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi View Post
    If we don't exist, then how do you know the world is ugly? Surely, if we don't exist then nor do the starving children. So in fact, the starving children does not illustrate anything. You reach the conclusion that "truth" is ugly based on false premises.
    We only perceive the world with our minds for a short time before we die. Pain is horrible and starving children experience pain for the short period of time that they are here. Once they die they never existed. They only exist in the memory of the individual who is still alive and has witness their events...but they die soon as well. I never made a false premise, unless I worded something wrong. There is still a you for a short period in time. The conscious mind is just a by product of the body and really the only thing to ever get destroyed permanently.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 27-12-07 at 04:53 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    We only perceive the world with our minds for a short time before we die. Pain is horrible and starving children experience pain for the short period of time that they are here. Once they die they never existed. They only exist in the memory of the individual who is still alive and has witness their events...but they die soon as well. I never made a false premise, unless I worded something wrong. There is still a you for a short period in time. The conscious mind is just a by product of the body and really the only thing to ever get destroyed permanently.
    So in order for something to exist within the mind of the individual, it has to be witnessed? How do explain legends and myths?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The world is a great place as long as you can change and fight (aka are not helpless)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast