+ Follow This Topic

Thread: files missing

anachronistic Guest

files missing

Right now I am very angry because I logged onto my computer, and one of the most important folders on my computer is gone. It contained all of the papers I've typed, all the poems I've written. Everything.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How does that happen? (Sorry, lilwing. That sucks.)
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Oh, shit! That's terrible. That makes me want to back up all of my files right now.
    An external hard drive might cost about a hundred bucks. Worth it? I think so.
    Spammer Spanker

They are just gone? Or corrupt? Things dont just delete themselves.. Im willing to bet that you have been sabotaged!
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    They are just gone. Missing. I wish there was a way to get them back... But it must have found its way into the recycle bin, and into nothing.

This is why, when I get Linux, I am going to add some script to the bin, that says it's empty, but it really stores all things for up to ten days. But I will be able to manually go into that cache and delete things, if I wish.

GRR. ****in' Windows.

Linux is great. I wish I could use it on my computer
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

Haha! I stick my tongue out to all of the newbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Haha! I stick my tongue out to all of the newbs.
    Please let that be the only think you stick out at them.
    Spammer Spanker

I run linux myself. Great os. And you can run linux on just about everything... literally, everything. I think my plasma tv runs it.

lilwing, I have 2 hard drives in my computer. They're both WD 250 gig 16 meg buffer 7200 RPM SATA drives. I set them up in a "manual mirror" configuration, which is nice. All I did is configure a script. It's a simple rsync script, which consits of 3 lines of coding. I just granted superuser rights to the script/second drive. Now, whenever I want to back up my first drive, I just go to terminal, type backup, put my password in, BAM. Done.

Thing is, my 2nd drive doesn't contain an operating system. The only folder I chose to backup was my home folder, because everything is in there. My music, music videos, pictures, school files, everything. So if my first drive went down, I wouldn't be able to boot. However my pictures, files, music, everything would still be on my second drive. I'd just have to get another drive to boot linux, mount the 2nd drive, and recopy everything to the first drive.

Note: If this would ever happen, manually copy it to the first drive. An rsync script works in the respect that it copies whatever is on the first drive to the second. If nothing is on the first drive, it'll delete what's on the second. See the catch? Manually put it on the first drive, THEN run the script. Good to go. However now that I think about it, if the first drive goes down, the script would probably be gone too. Oh well, food for thought.

What distro of linux do you plan to run? And what in the world is stopping you from running it now? You can dual boot you know, 2 operating systems on one hard drive isn't common. Hell, I have 5 operating systems on my computer at school.

anachronistic Guest
    I want to see what Mandriva is like. If I don't like that(bugs), I will try Ubuntu, and if I don't even like that, I will go to opensuSE, which probably won't happen.

Why don't I have it? Because I have an old laptop without a CD burner, and I ordered a bootdisk off of the internet. I will probably get it before the week is over.

Your dual hard drive idea is pretty nifty. I only have one hard drive x_X; I will stick to a USB flash drive, until I get enough money for a new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by blue toxin View Post
    I run linux myself. Great os. And you can run linux on just about everything... literally, everything. I think my plasma tv runs it.

lilwing, I have 2 hard drives in my computer. They're both WD 250 gig 16 meg buffer 7200 RPM SATA drives. I set them up in a "manual mirror" configuration, which is nice. All I did is configure a script. It's a simple rsync script, which consits of 3 lines of coding. I just granted superuser rights to the script/second drive. Now, whenever I want to back up my first drive, I just go to terminal, type backup, put my password in, BAM. Done.

Thing is, my 2nd drive doesn't contain an operating system. The only folder I chose to backup was my home folder, because everything is in there. My music, music videos, pictures, school files, everything. So if my first drive went down, I wouldn't be able to boot. However my pictures, files, music, everything would still be on my second drive. I'd just have to get another drive to boot linux, mount the 2nd drive, and recopy everything to the first drive.

Note: If this would ever happen, manually copy it to the first drive. An rsync script works in the respect that it copies whatever is on the first drive to the second. If nothing is on the first drive, it'll delete what's on the second. See the catch? Manually put it on the first drive, THEN run the script. Good to go. However now that I think about it, if the first drive goes down, the script would probably be gone too. Oh well, food for thought.

What distro of linux do you plan to run? And what in the world is stopping you from running it now? You can dual boot you know, 2 operating systems on one hard drive isn't common. Hell, I have 5 operating systems on my computer at school.
    OMFG IMA HAVING RAID PROBLEMS HALP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !111111111111111

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    I want to see what Mandriva is like. If I don't like that(bugs), I will try Ubuntu, and if I don't even like that, I will go to opensuSE, which probably won't happen.

Why don't I have it? Because I have an old laptop without a CD burner, and I ordered a bootdisk off of the internet. I will probably get it before the week is over.

Your dual hard drive idea is pretty nifty. I only have one hard drive x_X; I will stick to a USB flash drive, until I get enough money for a new computer.
    What happened to the shitty typing? Also, I don't think any Linux OS is worse than SuSE. I played with it and I wanted to kill myself. Come on, it's Novell. -_-

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    What happened to the shitty typing? Also, I don't think any Linux OS is worse than SuSE. I played with it and I wanted to kill myself. Come on, it's Novell. -_-
    What happened to the shitty type? You'll laugh. I typed a two page paper, printed it, and handed it in to my English teacher the next day. I got it back, only to notice that I had typed it in all lower-case, and a lack of certain punctuation. The teacher thought it was a prank, but it wasn't. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you are surfing internet forums at 3am while typing school papers. Don't do it.

It is my way of punishing myself, and I'm sure it drove people like you crazy, when I typed like I did. So enjoy.

I think I can trust you, when it comes to computer knowledge. I will just forget suSE altogether.