+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Reasons for being in a relationship

Reasons for being in a relationship

A lot of people are in relationships. When you ask someone who is why they are with the person they are with, they give lots of different answers. Everybody is different. Are there valid and invalid reasons to be with someone? If so, give examples. If not, say why not.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

Well, if it makes you happy, I think that's the best reason. I think some poor reasons would be "I'm too insecure to be alone, I'm afraid to leave, etc."

Now that you ask this, I wonder why I ever want a relationship. They always end in absolute ruins for me and I'm sure they've taken years off my life. I guess I personally stay in a relationship if I feel guilty. I guess that's not a very good reason... or maybe not guilty but... confused.. unsure... Hm, maybe you opened a Pandora's box for me. Shite!

I suppose the best reason to get into a relationship is because you hope that it will lead to true love.

Some say it's because they are head over heels (attraction).

Some say it's because they have so much in common and get along so well (compatibility).

Some say it's because they want a stable, lasting relationship or don't want to be alone (commitment to the relationship).

The best reason is a combination of all three ... attraction, compatibility and commitment to the relationship. (true love).

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 15-03-09 at 01:53 PM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Awwww, I have twuu wuuuv (Princess Bride--Peter Cook).
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Indi - <3!!! Love that movie. Missed you.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

prod!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I'm single atm for a lot of reasons but above all I would say because I enjoy being single, I truly do.

For the longest time I wanted a girlfriend, I just was too busy to stop and actually go after someone. I finally did find a great girl that I fell head over heels for and she did too. We dated and everything was great initially then it all went to hell and a hand basket. She took advantage of my generous and understanding personality and I let myself get manipulated and used as far as I am concerned. When I looked back and saw how badly I was treated and how one sided the relationship was I decided that I needed to stand up for myself and take what I deserved, not ask for it.

I stayed single after we split and she jumped almost immediately into a relationship with the guy she had a thing for while we dated. I lost all respect for her and so did our mutual friends. People made a point of telling me how much they respected how I handled myself in the end and I decided that I was a better person than she gave me credit for and that I was going to hold out until I found a person that wanted AND deserved me.

I have had lots of girls tell me that they like me and have gone on a fair amount of dates since getting out of my funk. I haven't found a girl that really sparks my interest and I just don't see a reason to go after someone who can't immediately grab my attention. Something I came to grips with after my last girlfriend is that looks count for almost nothing in the end. I still think my ex is a beautiful girl, but right under that skin is a woman with incredible personal insecurities, a need for total control and an extremely pessimistic outlook on people in general. Those are three things that I wont deal with anymore, I tried to help and ultimately wasted a lot of time and energy on a person who doesn't want to be happy, just wants a person to control.

I had zero freedom in our relationship so i have kind of grabbed tight to my freedom now and am not about ready to give it up. I know all I need to do is meet the right girl who meets me eye to eye on a relationship but I am in no hurry to find a girlfriend. I know what I want and theres no reason for me to settle for less.

Theres also some twisted happiness for me knowing that there are girls out there who see enough in me to let me know they are interested. Its a great compliment and confidence booster. Hell I live next door to 4 gorgeous girls that are my age and going to my college. They all think I am cute, and we have a ton of fun hanging out and doing w/e and all are happily single. Theres things I can do with friends being single that i can't if I am in a relationship. Take tonight for example, a couple of the neighbors have always wanted me to take them for a ride on my motorcycle and tonight happened to be unseasonably warm, so I took them both downtown and just cruised around for an hour enjoying each others company.

Thats why I am single

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

have you ever played a football match or any sport? i relate the same concept of winning and scoring back and forth to a relationship. it's fun, dissapointing, elevates you to perfect moments of excitement and joy, anger, frustration, tactical at times and complete love of the game even if you lose, lets play another game
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    Indi - <3!!! Love that movie. Missed you.
    Missed you too, babe. Im still around, just not as much now I'm not on holiday but I check in for certain threads and ppl.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I don't think there are any "bad" reasons for being in a relationship as long as there are no false pretenses involved. If a bimbo wants money and an old rich fart wants a sex toy, they're a perfect match, aren't they?

If two people are together only because they don't want to be alone, should they break up? Not if they can be satisfied with that.

I only think it's a problem when someone isn't getting their needs met.
    Spammer Spanker