+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I seriously need some help - Lots of advice needed

I seriously need some help - Lots of advice needed

Ok so here goes......

I have been in a relationship with this guy for the past 2 years. We met in college and have both graduated this year (he's my classmate). He loves me a lot and I love him too, though not as much as he does. I have severe trust issues and commitment issues because my parents' marriage sucked. My father never gave my mother the respect and love she deserved and I can remember atleast two occasions when he cheated on my mom. He loves me and my siblings unconditionally though and both my parents tried to set aside their differences to raise us. They tried their best but they continued fighting and that affected me rather badly.

Anyways, me and my bf want to get married when the time comes but my parents are strictly against it only because he is short (we are both 5'2"). They feel it will hurt their pride and they tell me that I will never be happy with him because he will be unsuccessful and I will feel ashamed of him. Thing is he has gotten a great job and I genuinely feel that he will make me happy because only he can handle the hot mess that I am.

Please help. I don't know what to do. Should I listen to my parents or not?

Hey lady i unerstand that you don't want to hurt your parents but if the only reason they have for you all not getting married is him being short then i would say that you should do what is going to make you happy because your parents mite be against but if they really love you and it sounds like they do they will eventually be willing to let that go and embrace the fact that he makes you happy. Proceed with your heart and the rest will flow through it lady i wish you all the best and go for what you know lady two short people can have big dreams ya know continue to grow with your lover lady if thats the worst he has to worry your parents about he's a WINNER!
    No More Worries

Quote Originally Posted by helpless1992 View Post
    Ok so here goes......

I have been in a relationship with this guy for the past 2 years. We met in college and have both graduated this year (he's my classmate). He loves me a lot and I love him too, though not as much as he does. I have severe trust issues and commitment issues because my parents' marriage sucked. My father never gave my mother the respect and love she deserved and I can remember atleast two occasions when he cheated on my mom. He loves me and my siblings unconditionally though and both my parents tried to set aside their differences to raise us. They tried their best but they continued fighting and that affected me rather badly.

Anyways, me and my bf want to get married when the time comes but my parents are strictly against it only because he is short (we are both 5'2"). They feel it will hurt their pride and they tell me that I will never be happy with him because he will be unsuccessful and I will feel ashamed of him. Thing is he has gotten a great job and I genuinely feel that he will make me happy because only he can handle the hot mess that I am.

Please help. I don't know what to do. Should I listen to my parents or not?
    Almost sounds like my situation (except my fellow is practically a giant! Lol) :-) But I have to say, if you guys love eachother and are committed, then nothing else should matter. His height is an issue?! Oh come on, that's silly. If you're attracted to him, that's all that matters. Ignore the parents.