+ Follow This Topic

Thread: can't really think of a better title but please help :)

can't really think of a better title but please help :)

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I was hoping I could just get some advice from some people.
    I'm the annoying sort of person who tends to read into things a lot so this may just mean that I'm just paranoid but I just have things that just keep eating away at me. Basically, I was just having a normal conversation with my boyfriend today and I was just remembering about when he first asked me out (we have now been together for over 2 years). We had been best friends for a long time since high school. We went to separate universities and just a few weeks after we started, he started telling me that he was always thinking of me as more than just a friend etc etc and soon after we started a relationship. But, then during this conversion a few days ago, I find out that he started having feelings for someone else aswell at the time he had asked me out. Now, this has really started to eat away at me. Does this mean that he just wanted a girlfriend who wasn't necessarily me? I dont want to sound self centred but when he said he's always thinking of me does think mean he's just mostly thinking of me or other people as well? I realise this is probably a completely stupid thing to be thinking about as we have been together for 2 years now. But he's such an amazing person and I dont want to hurt him especially as we have been having a few arguments lately and I dont want to make him feel like I resent him for things which have already happened and he cant change. He tends to read into things a lot, as I do so I dont really want to mention anything to him.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my rubbish and thanks for any replies.

Of course he wanted a girl friend. I want one even though I can't have the one I love now. He probably assumed that he was "friend zoned" by you, as they call it in these forums, thinking that you weren't interested and was looking relationship elsewhere.

Yes, he is probably thinking about other things than just you. Some of those thoughts might even be about people and it's normal. If you mean to ask if he wants to have a relationship with someone else, there's nothing idicating such and no reason to believe so.

If you can get over this by yourself, I would recommend that you don't bring this up with him. Two people who "read into things" can make a big deal out of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    Of course he wanted a girl friend. I want one even though I can't have the one I love now. He probably assumed that he was "friend zoned" by you, as they call it in these forums, thinking that you weren't interested and was looking relationship elsewhere.

Yes, he is probably thinking about other things than just you. Some of those thoughts might even be about people and it's normal. If you mean to ask if he wants to have a relationship with someone else, there's nothing idicating such and no reason to believe so.

If you can get over this by yourself, I would recommend that you don't bring this up with him. Two people who "read into things" can make a big deal out of nothing.

I agree with this totally. He wasn't in a committed relationship with you at the time this happened. You have to remember he picked you over this other person, that is why he mentioned this to prove how special you are to him. Guys are dumb that way when expressing themselves....they don't realize how wrong a comment like that can be taken. So that is what he meant.

Yeah, I reckon he's mentioned it and because it's his way of letting you know that you are special to him.

I wouldn't worry about it, particularly not when it happened 2 years ago.

Thank you all for your replies, I guess you may be right
    x