+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to let go of anger???

How to let go of anger???

Hi everyone,
    My bf of 10 months broke up with me about 3 months ago. I notice now how much he is not the right person for me. He is the kind of guy that says what you want to hear, and so I always find it hard to trust what he is saying. And I cannot spend the rest of my life with someone like that.

Even though I know I never want to be with him again, I can't help but get very angry everytime I hear him talk. We are both in graduate school in the same lab, so I have to be around him all the time. 6 of us from the lab (including me and him) are even going to a conference next week for a whole 7 days! How do I deal with this anger and resentment I have towards him?

Here are the reasons why I am angry: Before we dated, I really liked him as a friend, but did not see him as more than that, especially because he was 3 years younger than me. He spent months trying to tell me how much he liked me, and how I should give him a chance...so I was sort of forced into this situation of dating him. I still gave him a chance, and throughout our whole relationship I heard how much his liking for me was increasing. I was falling for him too. But out of the blue, after 10 months of being together, he decided to break it off, with the only reason being "he is not ready for a relationship". If he really liked me as much as he said he used to, how could he break it off so easily?? And now he seems perfectly happy and content...never asking me to get back together....so was everything he said to me a lie?? I feel cheated and lied to, and stupid, that I let my emotions fall for a guy that clearly can so easily break up with me and have no regrets. Everytime I hear him talk to anyone, all I can think of is, what a two-faced jerk!!!! What a selfish ass!!...who forced me to get involved with him, and without any consideration of my emotions, just left when he got too busy. I don't even know what is going on in his head.

What should I focus on to feel happier, and less mad at him???? Esp during the one week I have to be at the conference with him and the rest of my lab members?? Any advice would really help.

Hope

It's normal to feel angry after you have been hurt. In time the anger will diminish....sometimes exercise can be helpful. Better to have this relationship end after ten months versus a few years.