+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism no longer exist?

Racism no longer exist?

Since Obama has become President, do you guys think that some black people should quit giving reasons for their failure is because of their skin color? Because being Obama as the president now really displays that it doesn’t matter what color you are, anybody can make it.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Are you kidding?

Do you know how many rednecks want to lynch that dude?!

he's not going to last more than 4 years...

just my 2 cents.

Many black people don't even have opportunities to make something of themselves, as an effect from America's history. It is simply ignorant of you to say that they are making excuses for their failure.

Racism exists now, and it will always exist. Between every race. Even if the majority isn't.

unfortunately racism and prejudice will exist for the forseeable future due to ignorance and need for power over others

its not just against black/mixed race/yellow/sexual orientation and caucasian's but also wealthy/poor...basically anyone who can have power over another and use an excuse to get what they want
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 07-11-08 at 08:36 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I would hope Obama's presidency dissolves the defeatist attitude so many folks develop. It'll certainly be nice to have something to throw in the faces of anyone who thinks they can't do any better because of the "white devil" or the man or whatever other excuse they concoct to justify their fear and unwillingness to pursue their goals.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I agree; more abstractly, people who are insulted by such things, have only misunderstood.

What a stupid thread

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just to close, I think I'd like to see an end to racism. However, so long as there are groups larger than 3 ppl, one will never be able to get rid of preference. Even in 'pure' societies you will encounter things like nepotism, which is a particular form of preference. For that reason I agree w/Zilla, this is a stupid thread b/c its a concept that will never truly go away. And if it did, it would be at huge cost to individuality. There are dystopia books written about this specific idea as warning. There is some merit to striving for one's achievements.

Who wouldn't like to see the end of racism? Anyone? Well **** you, your opinions don't matter

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd like to see the end of sexism too, but it isn't going to happen in my lifetime, if ever. I'd be a fool to let it stop me doing what I want to, tho.

In a perfect society, those prejudices could exist without interfering with everyone's freedom.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In a perfect society, we would all donate the appropriate portion of our salary & income tax wouldn't be necessary, like in Eco's thread.

Society isn't perfect, so what is your point?

Exactly, society is not perfect, so don't sell your hopes on it. Your attitude is the same attitude that every undermined person should have; black people, white people, men, women, children, everyone.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My point is that I wasn't undermined. Not really, it was just my perception. Sure, in hindsight I suppose there were more guys doing hard science but that just made it easier to get dates. There's always a silver lining someplace.

I don't really believe anyone in Western society & access to public education doesn't have the ability to achieve. If someone like Oprah, (a woman, a minority, grew up poor & abused) can make it, then others can too.

Since Obama has become President, do you guys think that some black people should quit giving reasons for their failure is because of their skin color?
    I don't think this was a reason *before* Obama.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast