+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unconditional Love

Unconditional Love

I was having a discussion with some close friends and ex lovers recently about what it means to love unconditionally. I know it sounds almost like it should be obvious, but the more we discussed it, the more it became apparent that it's not as transparent a thought as it seems.

For instance,

Would you take back a cheating lover, over and over again? Because unconditional love might mean that their actions won't change you feelings for them.

Hell, as a friend of mine said, unconditional love might actually, in a way, make the concept of cheating irrelevant. Since with unconditional love, comes unconditional trust. Depends on perspective.

It really made me stop and reevaluate my feelings on love. I had some pretty interesting ideas thrown at me, so now I'd like to here what you loving people think.
    Last edited by The Godfather; 11-11-08 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    there are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Whats to say unconditional love isn't 2 sided?

Unconditional love to me means that there are two people in a mutual, unconditional agreement.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post

Unconditional love to me means that there are two people in a mutual, unconditional agreement.
    times 2
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body...

I don't believe, that unconditional love exists... So for me it's just a fairy-tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post

I'm not saying it can't be. Although I just realized in the examples I gave, I was talking about 1 sided unconditional love. But I'm interested to hear about 1 sided as well as mutual really...
    there are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

1 sided is called sloppy seconds :O

The Warmonger

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    An agreed upon environment for mutual growth. The rest is simply negotiating conditions for this b/t the partners.

As for 'unconditional love', no such in my view. Parenting comes closest, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post

Would you take back a cheating lover, over and over again? Because unconditional love might mean that their actions won't change you feelings for them.
    Taking someone back and loving them are two separate things, Godfather. I could say that I will always love my husband, but there are things he could do that would cause me to bury him in the desert.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Taking someone back and loving them are two separate things, Godfather. I could say that I will always love my husband, but there are things he could do that would cause me to bury him in the desert.
    I think it's fairly individual.

I'm not sure if that is how I function. I don't think that I could do anything that would hurt the one I love, even when she hurt me really bad. I wanted to get even but couldn't.

what would your husband need to do, that would make you "bury him in the desert"?
    You know that look women get when they want sex?
    Me neither!

Quote Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
    I was having a discussion with some close friends and ex lovers recently about what it means to love unconditionally. I know it sounds almost like it should be obvious, but the more we discussed it, the more it became apparent that it's not as transparent a thought as it seems.

For instance,

Hell, as a friend of mine said, unconditional love might actually, in a way, make the concept of cheating irrelevant. Since with unconditional love, comes unconditional trust. Depends on perspective.

It really made me stop and reevaluate my feelings on love. I had some pretty interesting ideas thrown at me, so now I'd like to here what you loving people think.

your sig is funny lol. i saw a bumper sticker kinda like that. it said "4 out of 3 people understand fractions."
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Does this include leaving the toilet seat up?

The Warmonger

To me unconditional love, if it exists, means that you love the person. It doesn't mean you will take the back, or marry, or be a couple, or family, etc. I love people but don't want to be with them or have anything to do with them. In fact, I want some of them to stay away from my life forever...but, I love them.

That's my definition I came up with after all these years of thinking about it.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't believe in 'unconditional' love, unless it's between parent and child. With a romantic partner, it's always conditional, unless you have no self esteem. I'd definitely leave my man if he started to abuse me, cheated on me, killed someone, or developed a weird fetish that most normal people couldn't possibly stomach. I just deserve better than that.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I think it can exist it just means you might wanna check yourself into a psych ward if you're willing to love someone unconditionally.

But that said, I don't think Unconditional Love is connected with Unconditional trust. You can love someone until they've broken that trust just like you can trust someone but not love them. *shrugs*

Interesting though, it's like when I told my mates Self-image isn't always connected with Self-esteem.
    Life's a beautiful melody, cept the lyric's a bit F'ed up.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by snoz View Post
    I think it can exist it just means you might wanna check yourself into a psych ward if you're willing to love someone unconditionally.

But that said, I don't think Unconditional Love is connected with Unconditional trust. You can love someone until they've broken that trust just like you can trust someone but not love them. *shrugs*

Interesting though, it's like when I told my mates Self-image isn't always connected with Self-esteem.
    If unconditional love is linked with unconditional trust, which clearly can be broken, and as a result break unconditional love, then it isn't unconditional love (nor is it unconditional trust). Your theory works against itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast