+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about wedding ring cost

Question about wedding ring cost

To all the married men out there. How much did you spend on your wedding ring for your wife.

Also explain the type of diamond if you can.

I'm far from getting married or such. Just want to get an idea.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    go for what you can afford. after the inital "surprise and wow" period, all diamonds loose it's contrast.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It really depends on how fancy you want to get.

How many carats are we talking? Plain gold or platinum?

My fiance got mine on sale, and I don't know the cost. It LOOKS to be about $2K, but I'm sure that's not what he paid. The key is getting something that looks really expensive, but isn't. If you hit the jewellery stores at the right time, you could probably get a plain gold band w/a half carat for about $500-$600 dollars.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Whatever fits your budget.

If your fiancee, wife to be, is going to be demanding about what kind of wedding ring you purchase and it has to be a $5000 one or so... I would ask myself the question: if she's that financialy demanding just for a symbolic token of a relation, how much more demanding will she be once she's married? Is she going to insist having a Ferrari Testarossa, a 20 bedroom 10 washrooms mansion with servants, her own private yacht????

Remember: a wedding ring is simply a SYMBOL. You don't NEED a wedding ring to be married. So, whatever fits your budget is my answer.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 20-05-09 at 12:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So I'm not crazy to think it's crazy to buy anything over 15K. That's an absurd price.

She gave me the obvious "If you can't afford it, I'll be happy with something less."

I'm like you better be. But to me it's sounds like it'll be nice if I can buy her something like that. I'd rather pay off my college loans, pay off the new house or get a new car. Sheesh!

This is coming from a guy who's still in his 20s & haven't start on his career yet. Geez, what ever happen to "Money can't buy love" or "It's the thought that counts."

Girls these days try their best to demand what society tells them. In this case, buy the best for the women you're going to spend your entire life with. Of course until she divorce you.

BTW. This was just all hypothetical talk. Nothing serious yet.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Plain gold bands, 14K gold. Nothing fancy. We were saving for our first house. Depends on your finances & what is important to you.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

We got married in our living room, with exactly 5 guests, 2 of them witness and all we exchanged was our vowels and 2 simple golden wedding bands, while the priest held a simple ceremony and the commisioner did the legal paperwork.

Our wedding dinner was coffee and cake.

It's all we could afford.

That was 25 years ago and still going strong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How much would I spend? However much I could reasonably afford without going into any debt.

Pretty much if you start doing that your marriage goes like this.

Engagement Ring
    Wedding Ring
    Suffer Ring your way out of debt.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

I'm currently shopping for an engagement ring and I'm not so much worried about the price tag as I am about picking the right one. No matter what you spend, it's a big investment... so I want to make sure she'll love it and it will last. There are so many options out there.

On the topic, does anyone know the real differences between white gold and platinum?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I'm currently shopping for an engagement ring and I'm not so much worried about the price tag as I am about picking the right one. No matter what you spend, it's a big investment... so I want to make sure she'll love it and it will last. There are so many options out there.
    Take her 'window shopping' and watch her reactions, especialy the ones when she goes oooh and aaaaah... I think you know what I mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    On the topic, does anyone know the real differences between white gold and platinum?
    White gold is an alloy of gold and some white metals such as silver and palladium. White gold can be 18kt, 14kt, 9kt or any karat. When white gold rings are new they are coated with another white metal called Rhodium. The rhodium plating is used to make the white gold look more white. The natural color of white gold is actually a light grey color. The Rhodium is very white and very hard, but it does wear away eventually. To keep a white gold ring looking its best it should be re-rhodium plated approximately each 12 to 18 months.

Platinum is a white metal, but unlike gold it is used in jewelry in almost its pure form (approximately 95% pure). Platinum is extremely long wearing and is very white, so it does not need to be Rhodium plated like white gold. Platinum is very dense (heavy), so a platinum ring will feel heavier than an 18kt gold ring. Platinum is also very expensive. A platinum ring will be approximately twice the price of an 18kt white gold ring (excluding gemstone costs).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Yggdrasil!

It sounds like white gold requires a lot of maintenance so it would be worth it to buy platinum. I had heard that platinum is very durable.

Does anyone care to share their experiences with either metal? Are there others I should be looking at?

What about scratching? She's pretty rough on her jewelry.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My ring is white gold, I've had it for 9 months, and it's already scratched all over.

Platinum is a better choice for someone who'd be prone to scratching it up.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    why don't women start byuing guys engagement rings? they do want equality don't they?

mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

I bought my husband's wedding ring, and it was not cheap. Platinum is spendy, but worth it.
    Spammer Spanker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast