+ Follow This Topic
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Ladies... how important is a man's job to you???

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    if you do really well in high school there are a lot of scholarships and grants out there. our system just weeds out the people who really want it from those that just feel like it on a whim.

what is the story with the scholorships? can anyone get one who can't afford to go to a good college? is it for the highly skilled and highly intelligent? i can't see that covering the whole population who are middle of the road intelligence but want to get educated well. it means that an ordinary person with average intelligence who is from the have not's can't afford to get the good education that is on offer. therefore increasing the disparity between the rich and the poor. am i wrong?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Well, you shouldn't. We have the best universities in the world, and I don't begrudge the cost. Besides, where I live, there are excellent community colleges you can attend for the first two years that are ridiculously inexpensive - so inexpensive in fact, they are contributing to the bankruptcy of the state. Where I live, the vast majority of students get through at least the community college level.
    i agree, you do have the best colleges, however does that make you a better nation? it would if every person had the opportunity to go to the college of their choosing. community colleges, tell me are they as good, can people compete for the best jobs with a community college degree? if so, then i'm wrong to feel sorry for you guys.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 21-06-09 at 11:39 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

People want to do different things. Not all careers require a university degrees. Trade school and community college are great for the type of job many desire.

Don't feel sorry for our higher education system, feel sorry for the children whose parents do not promote quality education at home.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

^^ i do feel sorry for anyone who doesn;t have the same equal opportunities in life. yes i do feel sorry for people like that, no matter what form it takes. it's unfortunate the way people think it's ok to feel like they are better than another and of course there is nothing wrong with grabbing the opportunities available to you but what about if you weren't so lucky, would you feel the same?
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 22-06-09 at 07:31 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So much college education (at the undergrad level) is now available online from good schools that there is really no excuse for those wanting an education not to go get it. There are also plenty of education loan/grant programs out there for those who really want it.

Fortunately for us, our son's tuition is covered for the local college & uni. But even if it wasn't, I wonder how relevant it will be for him by the time he is old enough to use it. University is quickly becoming the new high school.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

University degrees are a waste of time and money anyway. Invariably, many of those graduating end up taking an unrelated job.

Better to immerse yourself in a stacked associates degree and learn as you go, from there.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    University is quickly becoming the new high school.

actually i do think you are right, there is no end to the competition out there that eventually a degree in whatever will not be enough. personally i don't think it's ok for the rich to be able to continue to stay rich because they have the money to keep on top of things. what about the ones who have to keep climbing and climbing. it doesn't make it ok. it's so not right.

it's kinda like when people say; it takes money to make money...this statement it too true.

its wrong to keep allowing this trend to happen, not only that but it makes the underprivileged feel frustrated and angry and eventually ends affecting everyone..even the rich...because they are the ones complaining about crime. crime doesn;t happen in more equal communities and societies...think about it...
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 22-06-09 at 08:15 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you are saying education should be free for everyone, I agree. As for the rest, well, a meritocracy is the goal. But there will always be people who excel beyond others in various things. True equality is impossible and goes against how biology actually works. That's fine.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

If our system is broke, it is at the primary & secondary levels, not at the university level IMO. I think too many kids are encouraged to attend college/university rather than trade school. However, we aren't discussing primary and secondary education, are we?
    Princess, okay, that is so ignorant I could cry myself to sleep thinking about how utterly stupid you just made yourself sound.

I can just see you now in a tight little skirt looking all silly with your mouth open as the big bad trade schoolers come around to fix the toilet because you are too damned stupid to do it yourself.

Honey, it takes a certain type of intelligence sourly lacking in people like you to be able to fix and build things. Trades are not usually what a person does because they weren't smart enough to get into liberal arts college and study wall paper. What you are is a silly spoiled rich bitch that is held up by a society of people that have already done the hard work.

Building things, fixing things, machinery and making things work are what our great society is built on. For the moment you've been allowed outside of your child raising little cage, but don't worry in good time the men will have you back where you belong barefoot and pregnant.

At that point the intelligent women can go and have careers while you look after babies right back where you belong.

Quote Originally Posted by BoredGeorge View Post
    Princess, okay, that is so ignorant I could cry myself to sleep thinking about how utterly stupid you just made yourself sound.

I can just see you now in a tight little skirt looking all silly with your mouth open as the big bad trade schoolers come around to fix the toilet because you are too damned stupid to do it yourself.

Honey, it takes a certain type of intelligence sourly lacking in people like you to be able to fix and build things. Trades are not usually what a person does because they weren't smart enough to get into liberal arts college and study wall paper. What you are is a silly spoiled rich bitch that is held up by a society of people that have already done the hard work.

Building things, fixing things, machinery and making things work are what our great society is built on. For the moment you've been allowed outside of your child raising little cage, but don't worry in good time the men will have you back where you belong barefoot and pregnant.

At that point the intelligent women can go and have careers while you look after babies right back where you belong.
    What a great way to make friends BoredGeorge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    BoredGeorge, why don't you stick around long enough to actually KNOW some of the posters you attack before you go off saying retarded things like that? I grew up in a blue collar house, and have nothing but respect for blue collar workers, and I also know that not everyone is capable of working with their hands. However, I am, and I do/have done 90% of the home improvement projects in my house by myself. And just as not everyone can work with their hands, not everyone is an academic. All this "free education" everyone is talking about actually isn't free. It's paid for by taxes, and since I pay mine, I have a right to believe that people should do what they are actually good at.

And BTW: a well-trained, properly credentialed electrician or plumber, etc. makes good money.

Now run along and play with the other children.
    Last edited by vashti; 22-06-09 at 08:17 PM.

BoredGeorge, why don't you stick around long enough to actually KNOW some of the posters you attack before you go off saying retarded things like that? I grew up in a blue collar house, and have nothing but respect for blue collar workers, and I also know that not everyone is capable of working with their hands. However, I am, and I do/have done 90% of the home improvement projects in my house by myself. And just as not everyone can work with their hands, not everyone is an academic. All this "free education" everyone is talking about actually isn't free. It's paid for by taxes, and since I pay mine, I have a right to believe that people should do what they are actually good at.

And BTW: a well-trained, properly credentialed electrician or plumber, etc. makes good money.

Now run along and play with the other children.
    Hit a nerve did I princess ? Just a regular survivor then are you ?

Look, baking cookies for the boys and serving the lemonade doesn't mean you helped with the home repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by BoredGeorge View Post
    Hit a nerve did I princess ? Just a regular survivor then are you ?

Look, baking cookies for the boys and serving the lemonade doesn't mean you helped with the home repairs.
    Boy, what a catch this fella is!!

I can't believe some lucky lady hasn't just scooped him up!

he's making me laugh, i think he's great!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    Boy, what a catch this fella is!!

I can't believe some lucky lady hasn't just scooped him up!

Well, at least he calls me "princess".

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast