+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Copycat. I feel like I am dating myself

Copycat. I feel like I am dating myself

Hey there loveforum,

I am dating this girl who is sweet and fun but recently I am beginning to see her copy a few things off me which not only makes me uncomfortable but also turned off by her. She suddenly started wearing my clothes, speaking with my accent, copying my artistic work, sharing my friends, changing all her opinions to fit mine... its freaking me out! I am worried that her obsession is becoming unhealthy but I feel like I can't just tell her that she should become her own woman in fear of making her feel foolish...
    anyone experienced the same?

not really, but hey if she is being you.. talk to her the way you would want to be approached lol.. seriously thou.. i have no idea. hopefully someone will chime in soon

Uhhh... speaking with your accent, copying your art work and changing her opinions to yours? Damn... I think you've got a nut-job on your hands.

What age is she? If she's around the 18-22 mark, this is quite common. She is probably aware that she is doing it and doesn't even want to be. It probably makes her feel uneasy too. It happens to the best of us when we become smitten with someone. ESPECIALLY at a younger age. She probably doubts herself a little and thinks you're very interesting. I wouldn't call her a nutter, just caught up in being interested in you. It should pass.

Shes just trying to impress you-i know it seems weird. Just try and help her relax and feel more comfortable with you and she should start being herself.

Ive heard that when you really like someone, you subcounsciously start copying their body language etc.. Its just coz ur so drawn to them and think there so great blah blah blah. Most of the time you dont even rralize your doing it. Just give it time

Again, I will have to agree with michelle, how can someone you supposedly love freak you out? What kind of love is that. Just don't understand this lack of closeness in a relationship. You don't love her, it's obvious, but still I get the feeling like you are talking about some kind of stranger you just picked up off the street.

Pretend to change your appearance, opinions, & etc.. to different ones and see if she starts copying those.

Muna this is quite common. Your GF is mirroring you. It's a phase a lot of couples go through....I've seen couples both wear the same color shirt or wear matching hoodies, etc. I remember in junior high girls would copy a boy's swagger that they liked, and tried to wear similar clothing.......kinda of a way to be close to them as possible. I think your GF really idolizes you. But I find it's become a little extreme with the copying your accent. The key ingredient to a successful relationship is communication. You need to carefully approach this topic with her without hurting her feelings. Maybe say "I am flattered that you like the way I look but, I wish you would go back to being the girl I fell for when we first met".

After you should go out shopping together and you pick out things that you would like to see her wear....compliment her, make her feel special.
    Last edited by smackie9; 12-02-13 at 07:11 AM.

Grow a beard. If she tries to imitate your facial hair, she might not be your type.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

lol good one Vince

When your in a relationship-you do change a little. You grow so used to each other that you start being a little more like the other. Sometimes you feel like you can read there mind etc. Just relax. Its not a big deal. She just wants to be close to you.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Having said that, you would be wise to talk to her. Yes, she may feel foolish for a bit....but hey, we all experience that feeling from time to time. And we get over it.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.