+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why does my boyfriend suddenly want to be "Friends"?

Why does my boyfriend suddenly want to be "Friends"?

I just started dating this guy last week and I felt like things were going great. We did sort of rush into things but we haven't been doing anything serious - no "I love you"s, no sex or sexual touching, we've been just hanging out occasionally and getting to know each other. He was the one who asked me out and did all of the "firsts" in our relationship (kissing and holding hands), but I agreed to all of it, obviously. He's been very much into me, probably even more than I am into him if that's even possible. All of a sudden he texts me saying that he wants a relationship but he feels like he wants to be friends first and maybe take a break. I'm confused and hurt because we've already started our relationship but now we need to stop it and just be friends? I thought we were already doing well at that. I don't really know how to be in a relationship while still having no commitment and being friends, since they're kind of the opposite, and it makes me feel like something is wrong or maybe he doesn't really like me that much or I did something wrong.

I just don't know what to make of all of this, I thought everything was going really well and now it's like I don't know where to go or what to do...

He has another interest, so he is kooling it off with you to see if the other interest pans out. It's only been a week, hardly an invested time with someone. If he isn't really feeling it with you now he probably won't later. Some people make up lame excuses to let you down gently. You need to ditch him, he's being a waste of time. He is oozing with bullshit.

BTW one week doesn't consitute "being official" he wasn't your BF.

hour_glass, dating is all about getting to know another person and deciding whether or not they are compatible with us. It's perfectly normal to spend a week or two with someone and then decide that they aren't quite what we are looking for.

Agree with Smackie that his excuses are his way of letting you down gently. Don't ever fall for the 'lets be friends' or 'take a break' line: Just end it and look to the future with the next guy you'll find.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.