+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: movie recommendations

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

movie recommendations

I could have sworn we already had a thread like this, but I couldn't find it, so if you want to suggest a movie, please post a brief synopsis or post a trailer, but don't spoil the ending.

Today I watched Oscar-winning Nicija Zemlja (No Man's Land).It was one of the best war films I ever saw.

"Two wounded soldiers are caught between their lines in no man's land, in a struggle for survival. Ciki is a Bosnian Muslim, and Nino is a Bosnian Serb. The two soldiers confront each other in a trench, where they wait for dark. They trade insults and even find some common ground. Confounding the situation is Cera, a wounded Bosniak soldier who wakes from unconsciousness. A land mine had been buried beneath him by the Bosnian Serbs; should he make any move, it would be fatal."

What kind of movies do you like?

Somehow I don't think you would be amused by Pineapple Express or Borat.

Boondock Saints is a must see, so is Eastern Promises.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I watched 500 days of summer recently.
    Fresh and sweet movie. Helped me understand how we fall in love and the process we need to go through to move on...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    What kind of movies do you like?

Somehow I don't think you would be amused by Pineapple Express or Borat.

Boondock Saints is a must see, so is Eastern Promises.
    I liked Borat better in shorter segments on Ali G. Actually, I liked the Ali G character the best.

Pineapple Express - well, despite enjoying it initially, I fell asleep and missed the ending.

I find I am getting much more particular with the kinds of movies I enjoy. When I rent them, I usually go for award winners, classics or foreign films. I haven't been to a movie theater in a long time. I always spend time wondering who was sitting in the chair before me, and whether or not they had lice.

I think I am a good candidate for a home theater system.

Anyway, you were supposed to post a brief synopsis! how else will I know if I want to see your movies?
    Last edited by vashti; 05-12-09 at 11:15 PM.

The Kite Runner (2007)

In the 70's in Afghanistan, the Pushtun boy Amir and the Hazara boy Hassan, who is his loyal friend and son of their Hazara servant Ali, are raised together in Amir's father house, playing and kitting on the streets of a peaceful Kabul. Amir feels that his wise and good father Baba blames him for the death of his mother in the delivery, and also that his father loves and prefers Hassan to him. In return, Amir feels a great respect for his father's best friend Rahim Khan, who supports his intention to become a writer. After Amir winning a competition of kitting, Hassan runs to bring a kite to Amir, but he is beaten and raped by the brutal Assef in an empty street to protect Amir's kite; the coward Amir witness the assault but does not help the loyal Hassam. On the day after his birthday party, Amir hides his new watch in Hassam's bed to frame the boy as a thief and force his father to fire Ali, releasing his conscience from recalling his cowardice and betrayal. In 1979, the Russians invade Afghanistan and Baba and Amir escape to Pakistan. In 1988, they have a simple life in Fremont, California, when Amir graduates in a public college for the pride and joy of Baba. Later Amir meets his countrywoman Soraya and they get married. In 2000, after the death of Baba, Amir is a famous novelist and receives a phone call from the terminal Rahim Khan, who discloses secrets about his family, forcing Amir to return to Peshawar, in Pakistan, in a journey of redemption.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How was the movie, indignant? I liked the book...

I've read The Kite Runner and it was a pretty good book. Didn't enjoy the movie as much though, it just didn't seem to have the same emotional impact. But that's just my opinion.

I don't know what kind of movies you like Vash but if you want to watch a movie that is absolutely harrowing, is based off a true story, and shows you first hand through the eyes of children what it's like to live in the violent inner city slums of a third world country torn apart by civil unrest, you should check out City of God (it's subtitled though, I believe the language spoken is Portugese)?

It's won many random awards and was nominated for Oscars.

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/[/url]
    Last edited by Sanctuary; 06-12-09 at 09:33 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    thanks, Sanctuary, and yes - I've seen it. It was fantastic!

Oh my, you are a true connoseiur (I cannot spell this word) of film.

You should be the one giving me recommendations. I'm gonna go check out No Man's Land now.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The only foreign films I care to watch probably would not appeal to you. I can think of only one such film I enjoyed that wasn't about samurais. It was called Le Samouraļ. It's about French hitman.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Gribble, darling! I watched Rear Window... it was great! And oh my - Grace Kelly was beautiful! I wish I could have seen it on large screen.

I was surprised by the ending - I thought they did a good job of making it look like Raymond Burr could have been innocent.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah. That ending got me, too. One of my favorites. I wanted Stewart to be right, but in the back of my mind I always figured his meddling would be punished. Hitchcock's great that way. His movies aren't the formulaic rubbish we get today. I'm so sick of knowing the ending of a movie within the first ten minutes. Anyway, if you liked that go pick up, oh, every other Hitchcock film ever. You can't go wrong.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So? Are you gonna watch Cuckoo's Nest, or what?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I am, I am! I have it on my computer. I just haven't had time yet. I got dragged to a play last night. It was the most horrible thing ever, but it was written by a cute girl's mom, so naturally I had to come and tell her how amazingly awesome it was. I did not get laid by cute girl or cute girl's mom, however.

Should have stayed home and watched Cuckoo's Nest.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I did not get laid by cute girl or cute girl's mom, however..
    HAHAHA! I actually laughed out loud.

You're hysterical!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast