+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Last chance

Last chance

Hi all,

I'm Martin. If my English isn't as good as yours, then it's because English is not my native tongue. The reason I have a question on this English speaking *********** is, because I lost a very dear friend. She's from Israel and I'm from the Netherlands, so we speak English.

Anyway, to make a long and complicated story very short: it isn't about a love relationship but a friendship which I destroyed by falling in love with her. Still I'm as heartbroken as one can be. After half a year of no contact and ignoring from both sides, I ran into her a week ago. It was clear that she wanted to give it a chance. I spoke to her and soon became just as tense, insecure and eager to get the friendship back as I was half a year before; it was awful! Normally I'm not like that at all, but perhaps you know how it is when it is "all or nothing." Afterwards she told me that she wanted to leave it as it is: no friendship. Yet, I have one try left, even though it seems bound to fail. I bought two tickets for a concert by a great Israelian pianist she likes. She already refused hers that week ago when I showed them to her after I had blown it. Yet, I would rather send her the ticket without it being used (or throw it away), than attending the concert with someone else. As "no contact" isn't an option anymore, I composed a little note meant to accompany the ticket, with hopefully in it every ingredient needed to make her reconsider her decission not to attent the concert with me. Here it is:

I bought the ticket for you and can't possibly get myself into wanting to go with someone else. I won’t blame you even the slightest bit if you don't show up; I'll leave it up to you whether to tolerate a wonderful evening with a great guy.

Martin
    As mentioned, my English isn't good. And the "great guy" in the end is meant to be me, trying to be self-confident (I know she likes that; she even demands that), but unfortunately it can be interpreted to refer to the pianist as well, who, indeed is a great guy. And perhaps "great guy" sounds arrogant in stead of self-assured. In sum, momentarily my mind lacks any creativity and I'm unable to even judge my own note. The concert is soon and it is the very last chance before I have to accept to let it go. I can use some good advise to write a short, preferably witty, spontaneous and charming note. If it fails, I'll accept to let it go. But I hope to write at least a worthwhile last note which might give a smile on her face.

Many thanks,
    Martin
    Last edited by User; 23-01-10 at 10:58 PM.

Well martin, it seems she has been very clear that she doesnt want a friendship with you at all. It can be very awkward when one person has such strong feelings for the other all while the other person doesnt reciprocate those feelings. It sucks that you have to experience this. I guess you really don't have much to lose seeing as how you've already been rejected by her. If you do decide to send her this note and she refuses you this last time, let that be your closure on her completely. Best of luck to you.

With a little witty spontaneous note accompanying a great present, I do have a chance, I know her. But if she refuses it will also grant me a way out without begging for a chance. I changed it a little bit:

I won't blame you even the slightest bit if you don't show up, but as I bought the ticket for you, I'll leave it up to you whether to tolerate a wonderful evening with a wonderful guy.

Martin
    Is it still a terrible note? Does it sound very arrogant, or does it sound self-assured as I would like it to be? No doubt it can be improved a lot. Can someone give me some direction?