+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Unrequited love...?

Unrequited love...?

So I've been friends with this guy, we'll just call him Matt. I've known him for a little over 2 years, and this past year and a half we've gotten really close. We can read each others mind all the time and we often finish each others sentences. He's openly gay and has no interest in women at all, and I've known this from the beginning. I thought for a long time that I just loved him as a friend, but these past couple of months I've realized I'm in love with him. He has no idea about the way I feel. We talk on the phone for hours everyday, and I see him about 6 days out of the week. I know he won't ever love me the way I love him, but I don't know how to move on without losing our friendship. Anyone ever been in a similar situation? Any ideas on what I can do? Would it be better to just tell him? I'm so confused and any replies are appreciated.

No point in telling him, the only reason you would tell him is for the shred of hope he might feel the same way. But since he is gay that hope is 0.

Distance yourself from him a bit, reduce the calls and time together, and start to develop a new crush. One of my best friends I used to have feelings for, but nothing ever developed and I did eventually move on.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

You have to understand yourself that he is not an available option. Start talking to him about your dating interests (people other than him). Maybe even ask him if he knows anyone he can set you up with. If none of that works, you might need to move yourself away from the situation for a while, until you can come to the conclusion it isn't going to work.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!