+ Follow This Topic

Thread: So confused on 6 month relationship...need good advice (LONG)

So confused on 6 month relationship...need good advice (LONG)

I have been dating a girl for a little over 6 months now, and the relationship is a lot different now than it was in the first 4 months or so. I met her on match.com and the first few months were perfect, she treated me like gold...did things for me when I never asked, took me to dinner, etc. She was always with that whole "baby" and "I Miss You" stuff even to the point of excess. Around 2 or 2.5 months ago though things have started to change. She seems more distant and seems to get an attitude way easier than before. We used to see each other about 5 days a week and up until we Just went on a break (ill get to that later in the story) we have only been seeing each other a couple times a week and I feel I almost have to plead with her to see her, which is BS. She used to come over my place once in a while too, but now when I see her I have to go to her place (which is somewhat understandable cuz she has a townhouse and I still have an apartment).

Anyways, there have been a few things that have really bothered me recently:
    1. Her birthday was a little over 3 weeks ago on a Sunday, and on the Saturday night before it she told me that she was going out with some people to celebrate and she would let me know where I could meet her up. Turns out she never called all night and when I tried to call her she didn't pick up. Her and about 15 friends ended up going to a strip club and getting tanked. When I confronted her about it on her bday she said "Oh I didnt hear my phone and I was just drunk"

2. We have a trip planned for Puerto Rico for Labor Day weekend and have already bought plane tickets for it, and so 2 weeks ago we started looking at Hotels. We found a hotel we really like and they have a King bed room for $175 a night, so I told her lets get that...she says, ok...but then says "they have a room with 2 double beds for $120 lets get that". Is said NO way, I am not staying in a room with my girlfriend in 2 different beds, and she said well we would save $165 over 3 nights....I dont care, I dont want to do that.

3. She is graduating with her MBA on Saturday and is having a dinner at a nice restaurant on Saturday. They can only hold 50 people and she over-invited people and now there is 65 coming. So get this...she asks me "Hey can you just come to the afterparty?"...I was shocked and said....Screw that...Im your man, im not doing that. She says "You are selfish, I see you all the time but some of these other people I invited I havent seen in years".

After all this on Sunday I asked her...do you really still want to be in a relationship, and she said I dont know. So I said well what do you want to do, and she said I think I want a break. I asked her, "dont u think u have acted a lot differently towards me in the past couple months". She said perhaps and said that she sometimes things im Needy and she is getting a little tired of it. Then she says "I dont want to talk to anyone else, I just want my space for a while". I said ok. The thing is She still is trying to talk to me on AIM and calls me still once in a while. I think I need to just ignore her for a while, and even this weekend with all the MBA dinner and party activities I shouldnt go. I really want this to work, but I don't know if it will. She told me she thinks everything will workout with us in the longrun but I don't know....

Man that sucks, I hate women, sounds like she is bonkers. I would give her space and go on with your life happy. You can show her that then she should realize. I think everything your doing is reasonable.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sounds like she's losing interest. There's no way I would consider asking my bf not to attend an important event to make room for other people.

I think you should give her the break she wants, and not pursue it. I personally would just cut it off (you've not been together that long), but if you're not willing to do that, I'd make her jump through a lot of hoops to get back into your good graces.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I bet she has a sudden change of heart after her event is over and her life goes back to being mundane.

I'd let her go. You don't have much time invested in this relationship, and if you take her back, she will always know she can treat you like crap and you will take it.

you're being too clingy. that's your number one problem.

about the hotel thing... you guys could've shared one bed. a double is pretty big. it was just cheaper. doing that probably made her feel like she was obligated to sleep in the same bed as you because you're "her man." could've definitely been a little more flexible on that one.

yeah, you're too clingy. let the girl breathe.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I think you could've handled these various situations in a more positive way. It's still a new relationship and you shouldn't dive too deeply so quick.

1. It was her fault for not picking up the phone, but her reasons could be legitimate. Maybe you should've grabbed the address of the place from her to begin with and met her there at an agreed time.

2. I think you over reacted when she told you about two beds. She was interested in saving money for the two of you, you could've slept on one double bed instead of a king one.

3. It was a bit inconsiderate on her behalf to not invite you to the MBA graduation, but once again I think you over reacted. Instead of saying you're her man and have entitlements, you could've talked about how this makes you feel (unwanted, ignored etc) or not mention anything at all and just let it slide.

In conclusion, it's a new relationship, mistakes still sound fixable. Give her some space and autonomy to do her own things. I think you might have come off as a little possesive, as soon as you stop communicating that, things should become easier between the two of you.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~