+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do you classify the differences between curvy, BBW and just plain obese

How do you classify the differences between curvy, BBW and just plain obese

OK, this is a serious question, I'm not trying to be ass or anything but I am very confused on how people label themselves when it comes to body size.
    I have been divorced for close to two years and back when I was dating I don't even think these terms were around, and I have meet some women that claim a category that I don't think they fit into.

For example, I've tried the online dating thing as well as the in person. I was talking with this one gal, no picture. She said she didn't want any family or friends to know she was on the site. She said she was curvy, which is fine with me I do like a curvy with some healthy curves to her. We decided to meet for a breakfast date and I was very disappointed with what I saw. At about 5'8 and well over 300 lbs, there was no way I could think of her as curvy. To me she was obese.
    On the opposite side of this I have seen thin girls also call them selves curvy. I look at them like add another 30-50 lbs and then you could be curvy.

So I want a women prospective on this. Where do you think the differences between them is? Or is it just a matter of opinion

Obese is someone who's body mass index is 30 and above. The rest of your question I guess is in the eye of the beholder. What others find as curvy might not be curvy according to your taste. And I don't know what BBW is.

BBW=big beautiful woman

I've also seen people call themselves HWP (height weight proportionate) when they are that big. Just seems to me as if they are lying about themselves and to themselves. Makes me not want to trust anyone on a dating site that doesn't have a picture up.

Agree with Chinagirl that the definition will vary between people. For me, curvy is hourglass. It's all about chest/waist/hip ratio. Slim girls can be curvy if they have the bone structure and big girls can be curvy if they have a waist. Elle McPherson is curvy and so is JLo

That being said, I'm concerned that this thread is going to degenerate into fat and skinny shaming comments. Hoping we don't go there peeps.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

lalalita Guest
    I agree with basilandthyme. IMO, curvy is hourglass. Slender girls can be curvy if their body measurements allow it, although it will be more bone structure than meat creating those curves. Bigger girls can have beautiful shapes, and I agree, it's all about the waist. I also think it has a lot to do with arms and legs on bigger women, as well.

"Curvy" is a positive term. I feel like many women, whether big or small, classify themselves like this to feel sexy.

Thank you for the input, its just something that I have been trying to figure out. I like curvy women, some meat on the bones is good. But like I said I just couldn't figure out how this one gal in particular was able to call herself curvy.

And I agree with Basil, I hope this thread doesn't go down hill and if it starts to go that way I hope one of the Adkins lock it up fast.