+ Follow This Topic

Thread: do relationships work after a break-up?

do relationships work after a break-up?

So me and my gf of 2 years broke up 5 days ago. It was on fairly good terms, but very emotional and hard. She broke up with me because i had trust issues. I loved her, but would always worry about where she was and who she was with. She said she couldn't deal with it. So we break up, but we still talk and hung out a few times. Felt as if we were going to get back together, so i brought it up. she said she didn't know and that she was confused. And then today, she finally gave me 2 options. That if i'm willing, to give her a week to think things through, or not wait and move on.

I told her i would wait and also think things through too. I know in my heart she loves me and i love her and were both hurting from this. I know shes hurting, she tells me. she also tells me that she loves me more now then she ever did.

So i guess my question is, do relationships that go through a split like this work? My heart tells me i want to be with her. But i'm a little worried on it not working and being heart broken 2nd time around, which would hurt so much more.

when do you know that its time to move on?

You'll choose to move on when u feel the need to move on!

I guess it wouldn't hurt if u guys gave it a second chance, since there was no cheating or anything like that! Trust issues we all have them, so I don't know exactly where she's coming from, after all she dealt with u for 2 years.

I say...think with ur heart but use your head!
    God never closes a door without opening another one!

Quote Originally Posted by sickstunna78 View Post
    So me and my gf of 2 years broke up 5 days ago. It was on fairly good terms, but very emotional and hard. She broke up with me because i had trust issues. I loved her, but would always worry about where she was and who she was with. She said she couldn't deal with it. So we break up, but we still talk and hung out a few times. Felt as if we were going to get back together, so i brought it up. she said she didn't know and that she was confused. And then today, she finally gave me 2 options. That if i'm willing, to give her a week to think things through, or not wait and move on.

I told her i would wait and also think things through too. I know in my heart she loves me and i love her and were both hurting from this. I know shes hurting, she tells me. she also tells me that she loves me more now then she ever did.

So i guess my question is, do relationships that go through a split like this work? My heart tells me i want to be with her. But i'm a little worried on it not working and being heart broken 2nd time around, which would hurt so much more.

Hi there!

I agree with xmoongirlx,
    She's right in saying that it wouldn't hurt to give the relationship another try. You too have 2 yrs invested, and another thing, you wouldn't want to regret later..

Best wishes!

Hmmm for me it'll work.. I have the same experience too.. Though we didn't broke up.. Something like a cool off.... Of course the 2 of us(me and my gf) are scared.. that it might happen again... But the
    good thing about what happened, made our relationship much more stronger because we do love each other more... move on is a no, no for the 2 of you when its only the trust issues are the problem..

I loved her, but would always worry about where she was and who she was with. She said she couldn't deal with it. So we break up,
    arent you too much protective... Hmmm better do it often not always when asking here like whos shes with and etc.. that can really make her think that you have no trust in her.. As what we know too much is bad or less protective as well.. thats it.. i hope, i help a little bit there..

Goodluck!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i'll tell you this, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

i have a lot of bonds broken before, but the strongest ones were because of fights that we were able to resolve.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Tedel Guest
    They haven't worked for me after a break up. They died a few weeks after.

i think it's a 'make or break' situation. i agree with the others.. if you can get through this.. it will make your relationship stronger. However, when you get back together.. the chances are you will remember all the reasons why you split up.. and will split up again.. but the second split won't be as bad because you'll be sure about it.
    The reason you 'love eachother' more now.. is because you always love and want more what you haven't got. When you are back together.. you could appreciate it more.. or you could come down from the mental high of appreciativeness you feel now you don't have her.. and be gutted when you do. It could happen to you or her.
    It's also difficult since you've been together for 2 years.. and have become a part of eachother's lives.. so it's sort of like a sense of panic because a whole part of your life is suddenly disappearing. Not just her.. but her family.. the fact that she gave you something to do with her time etc.
    I think you should give it another go though.. cos you'll always wonder 'what if' otherwise .
    your boyfriend thinks I'm hot

Give it a try, what have you got to loose?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Tedel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Give it a try, what have you got to loose?
    Trust, just the most important thing in a relationship.

Trust can be rebuilt. They ended on good terms, there is hope.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She broke up with me because i had trust issues. I loved her, but would always worry about where she was and who she was with. She said she couldn't deal with it.
    Uh, I hate to be the downer in this thread, but I'd say you two aren't ready to try again until you sort out your issues. Otherwise, it will just a repeat of what has already passed.

Trust, like love, can be rebuilt. BUT it doesn't appear out of nowhere. You need a plan to sort out your issues. Good luck.

So alot has happened just over the course of a few days.

I can gladly say that we discussed our issues, especially me trusting her, and she was willing to work things out. Said that she would help me trust her.
    Its still a bit fresh in my mind when she said "lets take a break"...so i'm still trying to put that out of my head.

It does still feel as if we are starting the relationship over in some sorts. Its hard to explain. But i do feel as if me telling her about my past relationships and why i have a hard time trusting helped us alot.

Just hope that anyone else who reads this will gain some insight into relationships and issues.

thanks everyone