+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to Proceed?

How to Proceed?

We dated for the better part of 2.5 years, the off time being due to her moving away but I eventually convinced her to come back. I am a student, our hometown is about 1.5 hours away by car so our relationship for the most part has been long distance. She decided to go back to school while still working this semester and I am graduating this semester as well. With her work and school schedule I began having doubts because we would only see each other for one night a week and have to either just be with us, my friends, or hers. She noticed me detaching and we talked about it and decided to break up, but I ended up calling her back and telling her we've done long distance before and 4 more months is nothing in the long run. We then tried for 2 weeks but I ended up getting upset because of the inability for us to compromise so we broke up again. A few days after that settled we started talking again and I apologized, telling her the pain killers I'm on has made my judgment clouded but she wouldn't hear it. I know it was my fault either way. She told me she needed a break from us and wanted to be single for a while, work on herself, and possibly experience other people. She said she wants no relationship with anyone, but when I get closer to moving home for good she will allow me to be the first attempt at one, and I can take her out a few times and see how she feels about the possibility of us again.

I’m just not having the best time in dealing with all of this right now and all I can think about is getting her back and the mistakes I have made to come to this point. I was wondering what any of you thought about the chances of us starting a relationship again when I get closer to moving back are, how to better deal with this time apart and seeing other people, and how I should be interacting with her during this time.

Keep it in the friend zone for now.
    Take the distance and time to make sure you "find yourself". If you end up moving back still keep it friendly for a bit and if you end up getting back together, great. But don't try and force it.

Forget her for now and work on getting yourself off the pain killers. THOSE will ruin your life and any possibility of her ever coming back to you.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

No, I was on them for actual reasons and I just felt that they just messed up my judgment at the time. I don't take them anymore. I just feel like I'm in limbo right now because I can't really move on and I don't know what will become of us. I want to remain friendly with her so she can see some of the doubts she had weren't true.

It's just hard right now because I want to be back together badly but she is insistent about not wanting to try until then, and I just have no idea what she actually thinks about trying again or if she wants to. I feel like if she still really had strong feelings for me she wouldn't care about 2 more months of only weekends? So if she doesn't feel that way anymore why even bother telling me she'll give me a few dates? But at the same time the break up was mostly my fault, so part of me wants to give her time to heal.