Hello, there... just found this forum and I am needing some serious female advice about this please:

About 3 months ago, my gf of one year broke up with me. It sucked of course, but not a huge surprise because she had been distant and standoffish for a few weeks beforehand.

I wanted to leave things on the highest note possible since I didn't want karma kicking my ass and wrote her a good-bye text. Nothing sappy or groveling, just thanking her for the good times, apologizing for my part in the break-up (I'm no saint), telling her I still gave a damn about her and wishing her well and etc, fully expecting her not to respond.... ever.

4 days later, she responded with "give me time to think on your words."

2 days after that she sent me some pics from her family beach vacation. I in return sent her pics from a comic con I was at with some friends. We even had some brief friendly comments about the pics.

As the weeks went by, I tested the waters by occasionally texting her with some small talk and sending her some random memes and she reciprocated. Again, nothing sappy or serious. I was beginning to think that she was at least open to being friendly--ish which was fine with me.

One day while texting each other, she suddenly "reminds" me about how "judgmental" I can be and how insecure it made her feel... seriously... just out of the blue!
She did this a few more times over the course of a couple of weeks.
Each time I acknowledged it, asked her to clarify, gave her multiple opportunities to have an adult discussion about it so we can get this out i the open and move on.

She has yet to take my offer.

Instead she steadily became more distant and standoffish and her responses to my texts were either short or non-existent.

I finally asked her what was going on with her after she snapped at me again about past crap, and she essentially said that I was still in "LIMBO" with her.

Umm... okay.... she not only broke up with me, she pretty much nuked the relationship from orbit (via text I might add) and yet she comes back, acting like she at least wanted to be friendly and suddenly does a 180 with all this unsolicited snippy behavior.

I pretty much laid everything out to her, saying I was willing to work on our post-dating relationship since we have known each other for close to 20 years. I told her what I was willing to do and not do and once again extended the open invitation for adult discussion about our past issues. I asked her point blank what SHE wanted. If SHE wanted to work on it as well or if she was happy with the way things are between us now.

No answer.

By this time I had drastically cut communication with her.
She texted me a two weeks ago, asking if I still wanted to buy her son's camera she wasted a bunch of money on for his birthday that he never used (he's a bit spoiled). I politely declined by saying "No thank you, I appreciate the offer".

I then asked her why she's selling it. It was a brief exchange ending with me telling her she shouldn't have a problem selling the camera.

A couple of days after that I asked her about the first day at her new job, keeping the questions very short and concise. Ironically, it was the most she had talked to me in a while. I ended it by congratulating her again.

I haven't contacted her since.

Now back to my main question about the LIMBO thing and these mixed signals. I always thought that limbo was that period of time leading up to the break up, not AFTER.

WHAT is the point of staying in touch with your ex if all you're going to do is rehash old crap?? SHE broke up with ME for crying out loud.

ugh... brain hurts.

Any and all advice, tips, hard truths would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.