+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice please... do I tell her I read her journal and learned of her affair?

Need Advice please... do I tell her I read her journal and learned of her affair?

Here is my situation... my significant other for 3 1/2 years and I have had what appeared to be a "soul mate" relationship. We are unfortunately in a long-distance relationship and see each other about every 2 weeks. However, the other day I stumbled across her journal (which was actually on the top of the night stand) and I opened it up and read it. I discovered that she wrote about an affair she had with a co-worker while at a conference 1 1/2 years ago. They had sex, and she was even worried about being pregnant after. The co-worker is also a distant co-worker of mine.

So, clearly I should not have violated her privacy by reading the journal. However, I'm obviously losing my mind with the knowledge that she had the affair. In addition, just a couple of months ago she said in her journal that they still have been texting, and she even cried when he wrote some love-related texts and then texted similar responses back.

I need advice please. Do I tell her that I read her journal and learned of the affair and her on-going feelings for this co-worker?
    Thanks

Only if you're done with the relationship. She's already looking for an out.

Frankly, you're not in a "soulmate" relationship. It has to go both ways in order to be one, and if you're in one, you don't want to cheat. As she cheated, it's obvious that you're not HER soulmate.

Why do you say
    Only if you're done with the relationship.
    ??

may I add something..
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    So, clearly I should not have violated her privacy by reading the journal. However, I'm obviously losing my mind with the knowledge that she had the affair. In addition, just a couple of months ago she said in her journal that they still have been texting, and she even cried when he wrote some love-related texts and then texted similar responses back.
    Thanks
    I don't think you violated her privacy when you read her journal. there should be no secrets between partners.
    "It's all George's fault. All that talk about impotence. He got to me. And that orgasm stuff: orgasm this and orgasm that. It's a lot of pressure!" Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by vampiress View Post
    may I add something..

I don't think you violated her privacy when you read her journal. there should be no secrets between partners.

I agree. It seems that you're girl is more attracted to this other guy. Hey, it happens. It happened to me. The only way to solve this is to tell her what you know and end the relationship with an honest and open discussion.

It seems that you're looking for exclusivity and faithfulness but she wants something else. It's really sad that it ended that way after all those years but you must learn to overcome this challenge... and you will.

You're going to find someone who'll want the same thing as you do. So, don't worry about it too much. Cheers.

So JH... it appears that you think
    The only way to solve this is to tell her what you know and end the relationship
    I know I'm seeing things a little fuzzy right now with the heavy emotions, but is it clear to you that the relationship has no future? I'm curious as to your thoughts.

From my perspective, it seems that it's the only way. But it will depend on your answer, I advice your to ask yourself this question every night for at least 1 week:

Since she cheated on me for so long, can I still stay in this relationship?

Reflect on this question and think about it carefully. Go to Starbuck's or somewhere you can sip a drink and think deeply about your situation.

I would suggest that you end it because it's probably going to end up on her cheating on you again. You've read her journal, right? She really loves this guy. If
    she loved you, she wouldn't do some girly thing like writing on a journal about the love of her life.

Talk with her and let her go. Your mind is limited and closed right now but when you get to your next relationship which I hope will be the one for you, you'll see
    how silly you were putting up with a cheating woman when there's someone who'll never let you go and love you completely with all her heart.

Paraphrasing Morpheus in The Matrix:

OPEN YOUR MIND

Cheers.

may I add something..

Complete and utter horseshit. He DID violate her privacy. Whether or not there should be secrets between partners is irrelevant.

HeartIsAching.... So it sounds like you would be cool with the idea of me putting my journal on her night stand and letting her open it to find out that I read hers...

Oh crap seriously you need advice for this? Just leave the journal open at the page where you read this and go dump her ass without any explanation and never talk to her again. Maybe she will learn something for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Complete and utter horseshit. He DID violate her privacy. Whether or not there should be secrets between partners is irrelevant.
    I don't think he did? why would a woman keep a journal from her partner? isn't he supposed to know everything about her? or is it because they are not married?
    I'm a little confused about this?
    "It's all George's fault. All that talk about impotence. He got to me. And that orgasm stuff: orgasm this and orgasm that. It's a lot of pressure!" Jerry Seinfeld

I don't think he did? why would a woman keep a journal from her partner? isn't he supposed to know everything about her? or is it because they are not married?
    I'm a little confused about this?
    No one will ever know everything about anyone. I think this misconception that once you start bonking you have the right to know everything and you give up your right to secrecy is one of the things that kills relationships.

I will admit most people aren't keeping secrets like this, but everyone has the right to put their thoughts in writing and the right to assume that their loved ones will respect their privacy.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

The woman is an idiot. She cheats and then thought it would be a good idea to put the whole affair in writing for someone to discover.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Damn threads need merging....
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

maybe she left the journal on purpose for him to read, coz she sick of hiding it anymore?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast