+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: r.i.p. coretta scott king

r.i.p. coretta scott king

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060201/ap_on_re_us/obit_king;_ylt=AvW_hVN1LRSM5gN9tgxchKVvzwcF;_ylu=X 3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--[/url]

Tone Guest
    R.I.P.

wtf? what did she ever do? There are thousands of people who die every day that are more deserving of your condolences (how about the military men and women in Iraq?). she married a great man. Big deal. So did my wife.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

So Lloyd95 = MLK. Great.

Anyway, I wasn't saying anything but I'm curious what she did. If she herself was active in civil rights then great. Either way; it's better than a random celebrity.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Tone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd95
    wtf? what did she ever do? There are thousands of people who die every day that are more deserving of your condolences (how about the military men and women in Iraq?). she married a great man. Big deal. So did my wife.
    Lloyd...

Coretta Scott King was a supportive lieutenant to her husband during the most dangerous and tumultuous days of the civil rights movement, and after his assassination in Memphis, Tenn., on April 4, 1968, she carried on his work while also raising their four children.
    She pushed and goaded politicians for more than a decade to have her husband's birthday observed as a national holiday, achieving success in 1986. In 1969 she founded the Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change in Atlanta and used it to confront hunger, unemployment, voting rights and racism.
    King became a symbol in her own right of her husband's struggle for peace and brotherhood, presiding with an almost regal bearing over seminars and conferences.
    Try to show a little respect.. if you don't care about it - fine. But don't come in here being a dick about it.

Fvck off

Tone Guest
    *kiss*

Love you, too.

:)

Seriously, don't you think this whole "black" thing is blown way out of proportion? Like Black History month?

If we had a "white history" month, the freakin NAACP would be up in arms.

Rosa Parks died, it was a big deal. she didn't get up out of her seat. How is that heroic?

Blacks want equality, yet they're the ones that keep segregating everything: Gotta have black coaches in the NFL, black history month. Here's an idea: hire the best person for the job, regardless of color, if he's black so be it, if he's purple so be it. This "equal but separate" shit drives me crazy.

Tone Guest
    Seriously, don't you think this whole "black" thing is blown way out of proportion? Like Black History month?

If we had a "white history" month, the freakin NAACP would be up in arms.
    That's because whites weren't brought over here and FORCED to serve as SLAVES for generations... whites weren't treated as LESS THAN HUMAN for over 100 years. The land where supposedly "all men are created equal" the land of freedom and hopes. Considering what they've had to go through - I don't find anything wrong with it AT ALL.

Rosa Parks died, it was a big deal. she didn't get up out of her seat. How is that heroic?
    How is that heroic? Sure it's difficult for you to grasp, but think about what was going on during that time. For someone who is black, and a woman, no less, to realize how truly ridiculous it is to have to give up your seat to someone who is white and take a stand - it was huge. She gave hopes to countless blacks and helped spark the civil rights movement. She WAS a hero.

Blacks want equality, yet they're the ones that keep segregating everything: Gotta have black coaches in the NFL, black history month. Here's an idea: hire the best person for the job, regardless of color, if he's black so be it, if he's purple so be it. This "equal but separate" shit drives me crazy.
    The thing is - they use to NOT hire the best person for the job BECAUSE he was black. You act as if there are incompetent black coaches in the NFL... you act as if they are bringing black coaches in just to have a black coach - these guys ARE the best person for the job. They just happen to be black. Do you think Norv Turner could do a better job than Tony Dungy in Indy? Or Wade Phillips could have turned Cincinnati around better than Marvin Lewis? Lovie Smith just got lucky that 2 years after he gets to Chicago they win their division and enter as 2nd seed in the playoffs? I really don't understand where you're coming from with that.. I could see if we had a bunch of incompetent black NFL coaches.. but we don't - they have been very very successful.

So how do they keep everything segregated? Because they get the shortest month of the year to celebrate their history? (must have just be a coincidence)

But like they say, if you've never had to grow up experiencing any kind of racism, oppression, or prejudice - you can't relate to how they feel. You can't possibly know the struggles they had to go through. Fine. But don't try to take anything away from what they had to go through, and continue to go through even today.

Oh please, now they're getting shafted because they got Feb., the shortest month of the year? What other race has a month dedicated entirely to their history, huh Malcolm X?

I'm chinese, my ancestors came over and built railroads; do you hear me, or any other Asians for that matter, crying about inequality? No. All other races shut up and try to work harder, sometimes by doing shit jobs that no one else wanted to do. ie- Italians in the early 1900's.

No other race acts like we, the white American public, owe them anything.

As far as Affirmative action, I think it's BS. Not accepting someone with greater qualifications b/c they're white, or something else.

Listen, your arguments are great 3 decades ago, but it's the 21st century, move on already.

RIP, Coretta Scott King.

As far as Affirmative action, I think it's BS.

This quote reminds me of my interview in Indiana. They asked me what I think of the affirmative action, (schools utilize AA in the selection process, to a certain extent).

But there is a kind of 'spin'. It's not for minorities in AMERICA, but for minorities that are actually PRACTICING Medicine...

...in that case, AA does not apply to me (I'm Indian, and there are TONS of Indian doctors).

But it does apply to African Amerians, Females, and Native Americans. (The jury is still out on this though).

In my HONEST, HUMBLE opinion: I am for AA. It's because AA increases diversity among physicians. And therefore, more diversity in the medical profession, will be 'better' equipt to serve the highly diverse population of the nation. It makes sense.

Studies show, that Native Americans are more likely to sette and set up their practice in places where NON Native Americans would be reluctant to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    In my HONEST, HUMBLE opinion: I am for AA. It's because AA increases diversity among physicians. And therefore, more diversity in the medical profession, will be 'better' equipt to serve the highly diverse population of the nation. It makes sense.
    Great. So next time I goto the doctor's, I know I'm not getting the most qualified, but rather a "filler" to get the minority quota up in Med School. Freakin wonderful.

Sure would suck to say, lose a loved one due to incompetence when the more able and knowledgable is cleaning teeth down the street due to the fact he/she had to goto Dental school instead of Med school.

Your minds are warped.

Great. So next time I goto the doctor's, I know I'm not getting the most qualified, but rather a "filler" to get the minority quota up in Med School. Freakin wonderful.

Sure would suck to say, lose a loved one due to incompetence when the more able and knowledgable is cleaning teeth down the street due to the fact he/she had to goto Dental school instead of Med school.

Your minds are warped.

okay, but now you have concluded that the 'minority' is a total dimwit.

of course, the school wouldn't accept someone that they think couldn't complete the MD program and pass the USMLE's...

Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    okay, but now you have concluded that the 'minority' is a total dimwit.
    Yes, all minorities are dimwits.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast