1st six weeks grades

Pre-AP Physics: 98
    Philosophy: 88
    AP English: 82
    AP Statistics: 90
    AP US History: 81
    AP Computer Science: 90
    Pre-AP Precalculus: 92

****! History and English are killing me.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nice grades, but you are taking too many AP classes. You should limit yourself to two, and try having a life instead.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Nice grades, but you are taking too many AP classes. You should limit yourself to two, and try having a life instead.

If I'm going to get into MIT, I'm going to make it count, dammit!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's not all about grades, you know. You have to be able to write a kickass essay (without profanity or vulgarity) and have lots of leadership or volunteer experience.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

King Zarathu Guest
    Speaking of that, I just filled out the form for National Honor Society. I just realized how much leadership and extracurricular experience I have! Plus, I told them that I fixed a security hole in the teacher's software they're using right now 2 weeks ago. There's no way they're not going to let me in.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Honey, seriously! Don't put your eggs iall n one basket. There are plenty of other schools that are very good. I mean, it's great to have a goal, but be sure you have a couple of back-ups plans you will be happy with, too. I wouldn't want to see you go off the deep end if - by some stroke of bad luck - you didn't get in.

King Zarathu Guest
    My backup is UTD, another incredible school for computer science.

I had a hard decision to choose between the University of British Columbia and Berkeley. At the time when I chose staying in Vancouver to attend UBC, I thought it was a huge mistake. I made it an incredibly big deal at the time but now looking back it was nothing at all. I am glad I made the choice I did.

I suggest take the previous poster's advice and not to put all your eggs into one basket. It is not the end of the world if you don't get into your number one choice--even your second choice.

Borealis
    Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    It's not all about grades, you know. You have to be able to write a kickass essay (without profanity or vulgarity) and have lots of leadership or volunteer experience.
    For MIT he needs to be in the top 5% of his class, with as many high level classes as possible, have a high SAT score, have a solid extra activites list. and have no life. The last one is a joke, but that is what it basically takes to get into MIT. I know this becuase one of my cousins when there, and he actually exceeded the requiremetns to get in.

King Zarathu Guest
    Top 5%?! Holy shit, I'm ****ed. ::tries harder::

On the PSAT I got top 4% in Math.... Isn't that what they care about?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
    Top 5%?! Holy shit, I'm ****ed. ::tries harder::

On the PSAT I got top 4% in Math.... Isn't that what they care about?
    Math? Uh no. They care about your overall G.P.A and what percentage your in, becuase the things you can do there kick ass.

King Zarathu Guest
    Shit... I'm going to need to bust my ass, now.

Pre-AP Physics: 98
    Philosophy: 88
    AP English: 82
    AP Statistics: 90
    AP US History: 81
    AP Computer Science: 90
    Pre-AP Precalculus: 92

****! History and English are killing me.
    Wow. What High School do you go to that offers so many AP classes?

Shit... I'm going to need to bust my ass, now.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. For as long as you keep your G.P.A. in the high 90's and get over a 1400 on the SAT's, and over 760 on at least 2 SAT II's.. you're set..

You don't have to be "perfect"!

My Average was a 96.
    SAT I score was 1460, but they changed it the following year, so you need to check up on what good scores are now, and there's a writing section I think, so lucky me.
    SAT II's in Calculus was 780/800
    In Biology was 760/800

I had one recommendation from my principal, and one from my teacher in english, so there was nothing really special.

Rejected from Cornell, Berkley, Northwestern, Brown, Penn State, and Columbia.
    Accepted to UCLA, Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, Boston College and Florida State.

My parents want me to stay home and go to UCLA, but I want to get as far away from here as possible! I suggest you do the same. Parents + College = Fail.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by jurupa View Post
    For MIT he needs to be in the top 5% of his class, with as many high level classes as possible, have a high SAT score, have a solid extra activites list. and have no life. The last one is a joke, but that is what it basically takes to get into MIT. I know this becuase one of my cousins when there, and he actually exceeded the requiremetns to get in.
    And even all of that is no guarantee you are getting in. So many kids are taking (and excelling at) numerous AP classes and have high SATs, that they are literally a dime a dozen, at least that is true where I live.

You know, I approve of people working hard to attain their goals, but from what I've seen, the kids who jump through so many of these hoops and STILL don't get in to their first choice school bitterly resent having had absolutely no life when they were *supposed* to. I think there needs to be balance, and skaterboy lacks balance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast