+ Follow This Topic

Thread: conflict resolution - this should be interesting

conflict resolution - this should be interesting

Hello ladies!

Im fresh (2 weeks) off a 2 year relationship that didn't end the best. The short of it is she was the most intense gf i have ever had. When things were great they were GREEEEAT! and when things where bad... it got ugly. She had been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder midway through the relationship, and one of the symptoms was that she would twist things i said or pickout a few words, piece them together and take what i was saying extremely out of context.

As I am sure that i am not completely innocent here... I want to pose a question to the ladies of this forum to see where i can improve for the next time i fall in love.

Michelle and i would have conflicts ocassionally. The biggest problems wasn't necessarily the issue, but the way in which we handled the issue. Having a consulting background, I guess i could say that i THINK i have a pretty good grasp on conflict management, but i never could seem to get through to her.
    I would try to bring up the issue ever so delicately in a mindful way to give her many opportunities to save face. If she brought up the issue i made it a point to listen carefully and clarify and isolate the conflict. By clarify not only do i mean understand (empathy) but to see it as if it were through my her eyes (sympathy). I wanted to talk it through to understand any underlying emotions and/or causes. I know this sounds extremely analytical, but i guess my ideal process is:
    1. see the prob thru her eyes
    2. isolate to make sure that's all and nothing else
    3. reassure her that i understand where she was coming from
    4. let her know where my head and heart was at (hoping she could in turn see my perspective) at the time
    5. gain a general understanding of the big picture problem
    6. discuss and commit to doing things different to avoid the problem in the future.
    7. follow through

I always got stuck at 4, not getting any reciprocation.

So , ladies, is it that the typical process doesn't work on women in general? Does it need to be tweaked or thrown out all together? Or quite possibly could i have been on the right track with the wrong person (this i already know for other reasons).

Please give me some feedback! I don't want this to be an issue in the future, and i am will to do whatever it takes to gently manage conflicts... as long as i don't end up like my older apathetic married friends "yes dear, whatever you say dear"

Anyone? no takers? Does anyone have a successful method for conflict resolution or know of any good references?

Nicky, you were getting stuck at #4 because you were dealing with somebody with borderline personality disorder. Duh.

Look, you sound reasonable. Why don't you find someone else who is reasonable to get involved with next time? Trying to fix Crazy is not really the best use of your time. There are over three billion women on the planet. Not all of them are nuts.
    Spammer Spanker

you're right about not trying to fix crazy, but what about the process itself? Am i missing anything? I hear so many men complain when it comes down to conflict resolution... what do women want in order to be able to give respect?