+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I’ve known this for a while but let me share my thoughts with you

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I’ve known this for a while but let me share my thoughts with you

I have something to note about people who enjoy making fun of religion and peoples religious beliefs, and it’s this:

These people look to Christians to make fun of to verify their own intelligence to themselves because that’s the only place they can. People like this enjoy making Christians feel foolish because they get off to the feeling of intellectual superiority, and by belittling another’s religion is the only way most of them can. Most of them can’t hold a candle to any real argument, and those few that can usually have some inferiority complex so they feel better by looking smart by comparison

“Here, likes liken Christianity to the Flying Spaghetti Monster or pretend to pay homage to “the big man in the clouds!” Wow, aren’t we so clever and original! As if the idea to likening Christian belief to absurd random things hasn’t already been beaten to death. We’re just SO FUCCKING SMART!”

Nevermind the main focus of Christianity which is to help others. Let’s see, I went to church 2 days ago for the first time in ages and it was all about sending money to poor people in some of the poorest counties in the US (located in Mississippi). It feels a lot better to be smart and atheist, because now we’re smart enough to discuss particle physics! (But actually, in reality, they don’t / can’t because they don’t want to risk hurting that new ego they just built up)

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you need religion and a god in order help people, well, something's not right. I'd like to think that humans are capable of benevolence for benevolence's sake.

Everything good that Christianity offers can be done by an atheist or an agnostic, without the bigotry and evil that hangs over Christianity like a miasma.
    Last edited by Gribble; 01-07-08 at 07:32 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    I have something to note about people who enjoy making fun of religion and peoples religious beliefs, and it’s this:

These people look to Christians to make fun of to verify their own intelligence to themselves because that’s the only place they can. People like this enjoy making Christians feel foolish because they get off to the feeling of intellectual superiority, and by belittling another’s religion is the only way most of them can. Most of them can’t hold a candle to any real argument, and those few that can usually have some inferiority complex so they feel better by looking smart by comparison

“Here, likes liken Christianity to the Flying Spaghetti Monster or pretend to pay homage to “the big man in the clouds!” Wow, aren’t we so clever and original! As if the idea to likening Christian belief to absurd random things hasn’t already been beaten to death. We’re just SO FUCCKING SMART!”

Nevermind the main focus of Christianity which is to help others. Let’s see, I went to church 2 days ago for the first time in ages and it was all about sending money to poor people in some of the poorest counties in the US (located in Mississippi). It feels a lot better to be smart and atheist, because now we’re smart enough to discuss particle physics! (But actually, in reality, they don’t / can’t because they don’t want to risk hurting that new ego they just built up)

Hello DoesntMatter... I am an athiest. Does that mean I think I'm superior. No. Does that mean I think I'm smarter. No. All it means, is that I don't believe in God, in a way christian, jewish, muslim, or hindi people do.

I have my own reasons for not believing or having faith. In the same way you have your own reasons for having belief and faith.

But as an athiest, I DO respect ALL people. I respect those who worship God in the same way I respect other athiests.

And I agree with the 'message' of religions, I believe that they preach common sense, 'be good'.

As an athiest, I respect all people, don't necesserliy agree with some.

The only atheists I hate are the ones that try to put me down for believing in God.

My rabbi says that an atheist is merely someone who doesn't believe in someone else's interpretation of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    The only atheists I hate are the ones that try to put me down for believing in God.
    well, i don't believe in God. does that make religious people bad? no

but do i think religious people are disillusioned? yes --> the same way most religious people think that i'm dissilusioned... so it's a never ending argument...

...i do not believe in god, because there is no evidence for creationist view, but there is so much for evolution.

Again, i will go back to my point...i don't agree with religious people, but i respect them for their FAITH... their BELIEF in something which rests entirely on FAITH.

MY belief will only rest on scientific evidence, that can be proven.

RSK - many religious denomination's views co-exist with evolution, for the record. I really believe the vast majority of atheists believe that traditional Christian opinion represents all religious thought, and it doesn't. Not even close.

For the record, I am agnostic, and I don't have any more of a problem with religious people than I do with atheists. As far as I am concerned, they are two sides of the same coin.
    Last edited by shh!; 01-07-08 at 08:02 AM.

there is something i want to add... i'll come back later, because i think it is a fair point.... for now, dinner is getting cold!

Quote Originally Posted by RSK View Post
    that can be proven.
    nothing can be proven with science. that's one of the basic rules of science.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    RSK - many religious denomination's views co-exist with evolution, for the record. I really believe the vast majority of atheists believe that traditional Christian opinion represents all religious thought, and it doesn't. Not even close.
    well, i was just using that as an example. religion can be broadly defined. but when i use the word religion, i am talking about religious beleifs of an extrnal or spiritual nature. the intrinsics of it. sorry if that sounds condenscending (i'm really not trying to be), but i think you know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    nothing can be proven with science. that's one of the basic rules of science.
    exactly, everything with science is a theory.

for example, evolution is a theory. but think of a scale... and all the evidence lies on one side. and if the evidence continues to build a case that defies all other evidence... then a theory over time can be considered proof, but until evidence goes against a given theory (or evolution in this case)... then it stands as is.

when i use the word religion, i am talking about religious beleifs of an extrnal or spiritual nature. .
    Yeah, me too.

it's a never ending debate, i think we all can agree on that!

As an athiest, I don't believe God exists, because there is no evidence. So why do you belive God exisits?
    I'm actually agnostic, but I would say because there is no better explanation for the origin of matter.

EDIT: Hey! what happened to RSK's post?

anachronistic Guest
    There are all kinds of religious controversies, DM. I am disappointed that you haven't considered it to be anything beyond Christianity.

Just ignore silly comments. We don't need another war in the name of religion.(no pun intended)
    Last edited by anachronistic; 01-07-08 at 08:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast