+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Second chance?

Second chance?

We are 28 and 29 and dating for 4 months. He was basically living with me and one day packed up his stuff and left. We had our own life goals which meshed well and similar ideas of family life and had been through similar experiences in the dating world. He was the one to escalate parts of the relationship such as I love you; meeting friends and family, talking about the future etc so it's not like he was afraid of commitment (more my issue) which is part of why I trusted him. 4 days later he called to apologize and ask for a second chance.
    He says he was happy and just got scared because everything was so good. We had a long talk and he cried too.
    I need to decide if I can forgive him and still give him trust in the future or there is no point to giving him another chance
    My question I guess is: am I just being a sucker? If I do give him a chance what do I do to keep from jumping right back in? How do I decide to give it to him?

This whole relationship sounds kind of rushed, but I'd be hypocritical to criticise you on that score. I guess my main point here is to recommend that you recognise there would be a large element of infatuation rather than love at this stage. Yes, it can all feel amazing and wonderful but it's a bit too early to be making any plans for the future.

Anyway, as for the question you asked: If he runs from you when all is good, what will he do when things are bad?? I think this is the most nonsensical excuse for leaving I've ever heard
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Thanks. As you said it does sound rushed but at the same time I know I'm just as happy single and satisfied with where my life is that I'm not just looking for someone to be with and there was definitely a lot more substance right from the beginning than any of my previous relationships. Otherwise I would have no problem saying good riddance.

I'm just so torn between saying thanks for explaining take hike; come talk to me in 2to3 months; or ok maybe we can have a date night once a week or something

I think if hes rushed off during the homeymoon phase (when everything seems perfect) what will he do further down the line when everything isn't perfect all the time? If his way of dealing with crap is to just run away then you would be wasting your time. I think this is a huge red flag and I think he will do this again except the next time you could have invested a lot more time and feelings and end up a lot more hurt..