+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Scientific break-through or the end?

Scientific break-through or the end?

On September 10th, 2008 The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will officially start up. This 11 Billion dollar project is the largest science machine ever created in the world. It may allow us to detect signals from the 11th dimension. Though the real objective of this machine will be to simulate what happened at the Big Bang by colliding two protons together. Now it has been acknowledged that this machine can possibly create miniature black holes. Should this be a concern? Scientist working on the project say it shouldn't as the black holes would decay almost instantly.

Now with all this reassurance it may make one feel much better. Although most of the knowledge is all theory. There is still some concern as there is always room for error. The question is do we really have enough knowledge to run these type of experiments? Lets hope so, there are many scientist from around the world working on this and billions of dollars of funding put into the project.

Well, we will find out soon enough. If everything does go successful and as planned this machine can be one of the greatest scientific achievements to date. If not it could be the most expensive scientific failures in history. The chances of catastrophic events occurring are low but nonetheless they are there. Hopefully it will provide us with knowledge to greatly increase our technology by controlling anti-matter and all that other stuff like in Star Trek. Not likely but a person can only dream.

Fun Fact: On the show LOST the Dharma Initiative was inspired by CERN (The ones behind this LHC project)

There has been an extraordinary amount of scientists working on this and I trust that if this was going to bring about the end of the world, they wouldn't be doing it.
    I don't chase, I replace.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't really like the idea of scientists playing around with black holes and big bang theories and big potentially-catastrophic science machines that they aren't 100% sure won't cause any harm.

Seriously, they may be scientists, and of above-average intelligence, but they're still don't know everything. What freaks me out is that they all think they do.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh gawd, please not this!

I cannot stand people bitching and moaning about the LHC. People who know abso-****ing-lutely nothing about it. If you want to be a doomsayer at least do your homework. Read up on the thing. See what prominent folk have to say. Don't just wildly jump to a conclusion based on nothing.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Oh gawd, please not this!

I cannot stand people bitching and moaning about the LHC. People who know abso-****ing-lutely nothing about it. If you want to be a doomsayer at least do your homework. Read up on the thing. See what prominent folk have to say. Don't just wildly jump to a conclusion based on nothing.
    I never jumped to any conclusion. All I am saying is that there is always room for error and that even though the risk is very very low the risk is still there. I am actually excited about this machine and what knowledge it may provide us. As I said it can be a great scientific achievement or a failure.

A doomsayer I am not.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I didn't know anything about the LHC, until I read this.

I was just responding to the post and the pretty pictures.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

People get to worried about this stuff. I think this is incredibly cool, one of my teachers was explaining what they're trying to do. It's incredible the amount of effort that's going into this.

I'd love to work on a project like this one day.

coincidence?

[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, if this is going to be the end of the world, we probably wouldn't be able to remember it after it happens.

But I don't have any reason to be concerned about this, apparently. So far I haven't heard any explanation about how this thing is so dangerous. So please, go ahead and explain it to me.
    Don't expect anything.