+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Sharing expenses

Sharing expenses

Hi

We are an older couple, I am semi retired she is still working (six figures), we both own our own homes.

I am considering renting my home and moving in with her.

In the last 1 1/2 years I have helped out with doing many repairs from rebuilding and atrium, replacing garage door opener, repaired computer etc etc all total more than $4000 if others were hired to do it.
    My charge was zero.

She gets coffee in bed and breakfast every mourning, I help with shopping and all other expenses dinner, movies, travel etc, she does pay a bit more than 50% but far from the repair cost savings.

The $64 question is, if I move in to her home and continue to do repairs what should my contribution be for house expenses, utilities, cable etc.

Thanks
    DM

Well, you're going to have to ask her. But:

The repairs you did were a favor. You didn't negotiate a deal beforehand regarding any compensation, right? Then you're not owed anything and you don't get to pay less than half for living expenses, based on that. Now, if she's more wealthy than you are, then maybe she should pay a higher percentage of the bills. But you're not off the hook, especially for things like utilities and cable. You use those things, you should pay for them. And bringing her breakfast in bed or doing more repairs on the house you will be living in doesn't get you off the hook, either.

She's already paying more than 50%, and you're still nickel-and-diming her (or considering it) over small things that usually don't even earn payment. You're coming off as a tightwad who just doesn't want to pay anything. Is that the case, or are there better reasons for you feeling owed?