+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The old best friend ordeal.

The old best friend ordeal.

Well I had to get this out somehow. It's probably been asked a million times before, but there is this girl who is basically my closest friend of that gender.
    I have been close friends with her for about 5 years now, we can talk about any subject and we are very comfortable around each other. Her and her brother are the only two people that I can visit and cheer me right up no matter how bad I'm feeling.

Anyway, ever since we have been hanging out multiple times a week, for months, I have developed a strong liking for her. Every part of who she is and what she stands for is utterly beautiful to me. In my eyes, she looks stunning no matter where she is or what state she is in. Her personality is strikingly similar to mine, even though we don't have everything in common when it comes to interest.
    I'm pretty bad when it comes to picking up signs from the opposite sex (as every girlfriend I've had reminded time and time again ), so I don't really know what to think. She could be sending off signs.. Like when we talk about sex. Whatever discussion it may be on the subject, she always tells me that the way I go about it is exactly what she wants in a male. even when its just relationship talk, whatever I seem to explain to her seems exactly what she wants. Or the other night when we were at a party (both wasted, I must say) she said to me "I love you, more than I can explain now". I don't know whether that's she loves me as a friend heaps, its something she wants to tell me or just plain wasted talk. (but I don't expect you guys to figure that one out for me ). Just little things like that scattered around conversation that I cant distinguish if its my emotions telling me what I want to hear, or not.

I know that if she did feel the same way as I do now, she's not going to make the first move. So its either me seek an answer about these feelings of mine, or move on.

Its really touchy when it comes to friends as close as this, because it could go either really good, or really bad. There's no way I want to risk the awesome friendship we have, but I cant go on feeling this way without some sort of closure one way or another. Its starting to get in the way of normal thought.
    I know if I say something and it turns out she doesn't feel the same way, our friendship wont be the same as it is now, even if its just slightly.

How the **** can I get closure on this without screwing up everything I hold dear to me right now?
    If you need more info, just ask.
    Sorry for it being long.. but if this isn't done right, then.. That's a very bad thing

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Quote Originally Posted by Pustulio View Post
    Its really touchy when it comes to friends as close as this, because it could go either really good, or really bad.
    There's no way I want to risk the awesome friendship we have, but I cant go on feeling this way without some
    sort of closure one way or another. Its starting to get in the way of normal thought.
    I know if I say something and it turns out she doesn't feel the same way, our friendship wont be the same as it is now, even if its just slightly.

How the **** can I get closure on this without screwing up everything I hold dear to me right now?
    IMO, it's hard to be friends when you have greater feelings for that particular person.
    Unless you get the answer that you want, it'll drive you insane and you won't be able to move on.

5 years of getting to know a person, might get you stuck in the friend
    zone permanently unless she has the same feelings for you.

If she's saying that she loves you, there must be some connection
    between you, since regular friends just don't act like that.

Does she flirt with you, by touching a part of your body to get your reaction?

You have to detect the body language that she's giving out to you.

P.S. I suggest you get a straight answer from her, that you love her more than a friends and
    have had these feelings for a while now, but needed the right moment to say it.
    This friendship could still be strong, If you get over the answer that you didn't want to hear.
    You don't have to have everything in common in interests, just a few that
    you both can enjoy initially and then share each others after wards.

Good Luck, and found out how she really feels about you.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

Thanks man.

She's never really been a touchy feely person, but I think she has a few times before when we are just mucking around at her place. But I'll definitely pay more attention to these kind of things.

Yeah, I'm think I will ride it out a little longer. Study her body language a bit better and see what I can come up with. If I'm not 100% on that, I'll find the right time to talk to her about it. Otherwise it will keep eating at my skull.

Cheers!

How old are you now, and I wouldn't wait too much longer.
    Do you know, If she has a boyfriend yet?

I can give you advice, but you need to find a method that is comfortable for you to use.
    I might be confident using my method, but it doesn't mean that it would
    work with you, since our personalities are probably very different.

=> Auguste Rodin

No she doesn't have a boyfriend. I am 19, and she is the same age.
    I'm just so afraid of the bad side of things that could happen and if its even worth risking it.
    How would you recommend going about telling her? To be honest, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pustulio View Post
    No she doesn't have a boyfriend. I am 19, and she is the same age.
    I'm just so afraid of the bad side of things that could happen and if its even worth risking it.
    How would you recommend going about telling her? To be honest, I have no idea.
    Well, "You know I've been a good friend to you all these years, and I really appreciate how you've accepted me"
    " I have something to ask you, that has been waiting to come out, but I needed the right moment to say this to you. "
    " I feel as If I have grown feelings for you, more than just a friend, what do you think of this?" " Do you feel the same way?"
    " I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship, but I had to let you know how I felt, before it was to late and could possibly
    lose an opportunity to develop on what we already have. "

There could be more I could say, but that is a good start to think about.
    You'll have to say, what you feel about her from your heart, so she knows what she means to you.

=> Auguste Rodin