+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I try? No interest indicated...

Should I try? No interest indicated...

For the past few months, I haven't felt the need to actively date around. I don't take anyone I meet that seriously and when I do check dating sites, I never look with the intention of talking to anyone. I don't know why I even bother given my current state...

However, I met a guy through a friend and I'm somewhat interested. I think I'm feeling cautious which is good because the feelings/attraction are only mild, safe. I hinted to him that I'd like to hang out sometime but he either didn't get the hint or he did and purposely brushed it off. I honestly can't tell... His friends are somewhat similar, they'll "hang out" online but getting together with them in person is like pulling teeth. I've been hearing "We should hang out sometime" for weeks now. >.< *Note: We've only talked online, and I mean actually talked, no typing or texting. The conversation flowed and I was impressed with how smart he is.

I stopped pursuing him then and there. I've faced enough rejection that now I sort of just walk away early... But then I came upon his dating profile - brand new - and messaged him to say hello. He was polite and said that he was giving it a shot after a friend suggested he try it out. I told him good luck and he said thanks and that was it.

His profile says that he'd like to meet a girl who can take the lead. But if I attempt to message him and he denies me, it could get back to our circle of friends and that might be awkward... A few weeks ago, he updated his FB status - which he does maybe once every few months - to say that he was bored and someone should give him a call. I didn't have his number so I said, "Well I'm up for hanging out". No response.

A few days later he responded by explaining that he hadn't actually checked his page again so he never got my message. He gave me his number, I texted him, and that was that. I asked if he wanted to hang out, get something to eat, and he said he was broke and had almost no gas. He lives about 20 minutes away so I didn't offer to get him and feed him, that kind of out-of-my-way kindness blows up in my face on a regular basis, even with "friends".

It's not like he's given me any indication that he's interested so I don't know if I should take a chance or not...

Ummm.....no money for gas to take you out? Yeah....you might want to look elsewhere. Lol

It's not like I have a lot of money myself, I'm a new grad. =/

I don't really expect a lot financially from a guy in his early 20's. A date is just a date, it's not marriage. He could still be broke 5 years from now or he could have a good job and be doing fine. That's a hurdle I'd rather worry about jumping when it's in sight, for now I just worry about taking care of myself. I consider my financial status entirely separate from whoever I'm with, when it gets more serious that will change.

Fair enough but the guys on the Internet whining that he's bored and wants somebody to call him? I mean, do what you want but remember not to sell yourself short.

I won't, I think I've done enough of that to last me a lifetime. =)

I think he's just been somewhat secluded. He doesn't use Facebook hardly ever, a quick glance at his page shows only two updates in 16 days. Not bad considering that my 40 year old cousin updates hers literally all damn day... *family spam block*

I don't think I'm going to do it though, it seems so silly. He could just as easily message me but he hasn't so whatever. -_-

That sucks. He has no idea how lucky he is that someone is trying to reach out for him

Assuming he got the hint in the first place... Meh, I don't have the energy to figure it out. =/

Don't think about it too much. We all get lonely sometimes. Just need to keep going with a smile and you will find someone ^.^