+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Wage issues

Wage issues

I've been with my guy nearly 6 months, and we have a great relationship...but I'm struggling with the huge difference in our pays and how we each spend money.

He earns about 5 times what I earn, which isn't a huge amount, but isn't a pittance either. I earn enough to get by. He earns a LOT and spends money accordingly - but on me. I feel guilty that I can't reciprocate his generous gestures, even though he doesn't expect it. We generally share who pays when we go out etc, and I'm happy with that - its the gifts. The latest was a Tiffany & Co bracelet that I adore and had been admiring for at least 4 months...no idea how he found out.

I'm just not sure how to 'get over it' as he says - if I bring it up, he reassures me he does these things because he wants to, not because he feels he has to. I want to feel more equal, I suppose.

Ideas?

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Meh, my husband makes more than twice what I do, and I don't make peanuts. He buys me stuff I find unnecessary at times. I learned to let him buy me what he wants because it makes him feel accomplished when he can afford to buy me things, and I reciprocate in the ways I know make him happy. He's not into material crap, but if I iron 40 of his dress shirts for him, that's a big deal for him because he depises ironing.

Just be sure you don't expect it, you are reciprocating in other ways, and that you do gently remind him once in awhile he doesn't need to buy your love. They don't usually listen though
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi