+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theories of Life, the Universe and Everything

Theories of Life, the Universe and Everything

Recently it appears I've become addicted to posting, mainly random nonsense. But I've been thinking, wouldn’t it be awesome if I could post about something that’s at least vaguely interesting, instead of just random crap….. Then it came to me, lets start a science thread!

Anyway was just wandering what you guys think of different theories of life the universe and everything. Just listed a few questions and ideas to start this off.

Universe Related -
    *What do you think of M-theory and String theory? - In case you haven't heard of them here’s a Wikipedia link - [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory[/url]
    *Do you know of any other theories of everything?
    *Do you think parallel universes and wormholes may exist?

Life Related -
    *What are your views on evolution? - Do you think life evolved from random chemical reactions on Earth?
    *Do you think there is likely to be other alien life in the universe? - Bacterial life? Intelligent life? Life that would be unrecognisable to humans?
    *What do you think classifies a sentient being? - How would you define consciousness? Do you think free will exists?

Ok so you may think some of these questions are pretty far-fetched and evidence in their favour may currently be limited at best. But these are still fascinating questions with lots of ideas to concider. Obviously I don't expect people to give views on everything. Just suggested lots of things so that hopefully everyone can give ideas on some area.

Just thought it might be interesting to have a thread to discuss more science based issues and peoples views about these theories. Even if your view is just -
    "Scientists should quit dreaming up theories that have nothing to do with every day life and concentrate their efforts on practically useful science."
    Either way, it’s interesting to think about these things.

What do you think?
    Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Tone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by King Zarathu View Post
    I wonder when people are going to start wondering how I bypass the 10-char max rule.

Who cares?

gosh! I like this idea..

I've watched and read so much on string theory, parallel universes, dimensions, wormholes, gravitons, anti matter, etc.. that it's all kind of mushed itself into one corner of my brain and lies there like a heap of old clothes.
    There is still so much debate about it that it's very hard for a lay-person to really decide what they believe- without making a leap of faith. I don't think that's logical, so I'll just admit that I have no clue what-so-ever.

I love evolution because it's such a simple, yet vast concept. I haven't heart much recent scientific debate about how life started, though I'd like to.

Personally I think the universe is so vast, that surely somewhere there is a planet with the right conditions to maintain life. Then again, maybe earth is a complete fluke and we're the only ones.. alone or not alone, they're both incredibly profound concepts, as someone who's name I forgot once said.

I suppose, off the top of my head, a sentient being is a being that can sense and perceive the world around it, and have some kind of consciousness/nervous system. I haven't thought about this for more than a minute though, so I'm not sure about it.

As for free will? oh my god. that's a whole nother story! I used to think about that as a kid actually. I remember me and my dad were eating a picnic outside and I said that hypothetically, you could have some super computer capable of calculating everything, and if you input into this the exact specifications of the big bang, it could predict EVERYTHING that happened and will happen. Then my dad plucked a blade of grass and held it up.. and said "can the calculator say which way I'm going to throw this?".. at the time I grinned and said "YES!".. but now i'm not so sure, heh..

anachronistic Guest
    I wonder when people are going to start wondering how I bypass the 10-char max rule.
    it's a 10 character minimum, and you typed 10 characters in the first post.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    gosh! I like this idea..

I've watched and read so much on string theory, parallel universes, dimensions, wormholes, gravitons, anti matter, etc.. that it's all kind of mushed itself into one corner of my brain and lies there like a heap of old clothes.
    There is still so much debate about it that it's very hard for a lay-person to really decide what they believe- without making a leap of faith. I don't think that's logical, so I'll just admit that I have no clue what-so-ever.

I love evolution because it's such a simple, yet vast concept. I haven't heart much recent scientific debate about how life started, though I'd like to.

Personally I think the universe is so vast, that surely somewhere there is a planet with the right conditions to maintain life. Then again, maybe earth is a complete fluke and we're the only ones.. alone or not alone, they're both incredibly profound concepts, as someone who's name I forgot once said.

I suppose, off the top of my head, a sentient being is a being that can sense and perceive the world around it, and have some kind of consciousness/nervous system. I haven't thought about this for more than a minute though, so I'm not sure about it.

As for free will? oh my god. that's a whole nother story! I used to think about that as a kid actually. I remember me and my dad were eating a picnic outside and I said that hypothetically, you could have some super computer capable of calculating everything, and if you input into this the exact specifications of the big bang, it could predict EVERYTHING that happened and will happen. Then my dad plucked a blade of grass and held it up.. and said "can the calculator say which way I'm going to throw this?".. at the time I grinned and said "YES!".. but now i'm not so sure, heh..
    i think that everybody knows the answers to everything. they just have to find them within themselves. that probably doesn't make sense, but then again i am rambling in lilwing language.

Who cares?
    Awesome!!! Who cares? Great Question!!! Does it have an answer? Oh yeah, bored science geeks like me!!!! Thats who!!!

Is it just me or does everyone talk about science and the world after getting hot and heavy?

Cause, my girlfriend all of a sudden wants to talk about if God is real and about the Bible.

I just wanna go to sleep.
    "When I am Emperor of the world, I will crush you, your family, your friends and everything you like."

me

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by generaljag@hotm View Post
    Is it just me or does everyone talk about science and the world after getting hot and heavy?

Cause, my girlfriend all of a sudden wants to talk about if God is real and about the Bible.

god damnit boy, are you good for anything other than wrapping your tongue around her clitoris?

Quote Originally Posted by generaljag@hotm View Post

Sleep... *sighs* Oh how long I've dreamed of that.... When you've got science on the brain and your obsessed with understanding as much as possible and imagining as much as possible theres little time left for sleep.

So you believe that ignorance is bliss? Or at least to certain degree? Or do you think that even asking such questions is pointless?

I have a few thoughts.

*What do you think of M-theory and String theory?

I think they are interesting and possible. Although I don't know much about them, I recognize their concept.

*Do you know of any other theories of everything?

I have my famous theory- All reality is... When you die, you wake up when your 8 years old and remember your previous life and everything in it JUST long enough to say: "Your ****in' kiddin me!!" Then POOF! Your back to being 8 again- forever and ever over and over. Happy Holidays!

*Do you think parallel universes and wormholes may exist

When it really comes down to it, I would like to think they exist but I have no idea. I think its quite possible and it is interesting and I hope we as humans can one day cultivate the use of such concepts.

*What are your views on evolution? - Do you think life evolved from random chemical reactions on Earth?

I currently do not believe in evolution. I have read alot about it and against it. I just don't know enough about it to make a conclusion on what I really think about it. Plus I just don't like the concept.

No I don't think we evolved from random chemical reactions.

*Do you think there is likely to be other alien life in the universe? - Bacterial life? Intelligent life? Life that would be unrecognisable to humans?

I think its very probable that there is some other forms of life else where in the universe. I think anything is possible.

*What do you think classifies a sentient being?

Any life that can perceive its surroundings via senses.

*How would you define consciousness?

Having the ability to perceive reality in one way or another.

*Do you think free will exists?

I believe my will is my own. But I acknowledge that its possible it is the will of another flowing through me. Anything is possible.
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Currently it's mental masturbation that I don't have the patience for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post

I currently do not believe in evolution. I have read alot about it and against it. I just don't know enough about it to make a conclusion on what I really think about it. Plus I just don't like the concept.

No I don't think we evolved from random chemical reactions.
    you don't believe in evolution? Zach, you're killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    *What do you think classifies a sentient being?

Any life that can perceive its surroundings via senses.

*How would you define consciousness?

Having the ability to perceive reality in one way or another.
    plants can sense and grow towards light, are plants conscious? I'd think that's a bit loose.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can't comprehend how people can't comprehend evolution when evolution as at work right now.

How is there not enough evidence to support it??

Every single living organism is evidence of evolution.

Yeah, I don't even know where to start on this. The existence of evolution - even if you choose to believe that god or whatever greater power has 'created' or 'guided' evolution - is so obvious in so many ways, that frankly anybody who bluntly does not believe evolution exists at all is ... just .... plain ... stupid.

I don't want to insult people in debates. I think it is pointless and often invalidates the whole debate. It puts people on the defensive rather than opening their minds to proper intelligent debate. But if somebody has actually *thought* about whether or not evolution exists, and concluded that it doesn't even when confronted with an unbreakable wall of evidence.. they're just stupid in that aspect, and I'm honestly sorry, but there is just no other word for it.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    Yeah, I don't even know where to start on this. The existence of evolution - even if you choose to believe that god or whatever greater power has 'created' or 'guided' evolution - is so obvious in so many ways, that frankly anybody who bluntly does not believe evolution exists at all is ... just .... plain ... stupid.

I don't want to insult people in debates. I think it is pointless and often invalidates the whole debate. It puts people on the defensive rather than opening their minds to proper intelligent debate. But if somebody has actually *thought* about whether or not evolution exists, and concluded that it doesn't even when confronted with an unbreakable wall of evidence.. they're just stupid in that aspect, and I'm honestly sorry, but there is just no other word for it.
    Truth be told.

I must agree.

How else do you explain organism's ability to adapt to otherwise hostile environments? That in itself is evolution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast