+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Second post on here, you guys really helped me out last time so I figure it's worth my while to ask again

Me and my now ex girlfriend broke up about 6weeks ago, but in a very strange circumstance. She basically said she couldn't handle our relationship whilst she had exams etc as we where arguing quite a lot, which was fair enough and I agreed with her. She said she still wanted to be friends (Queue me rolling my eyes at her) and that she also didn't see why we couldn't get back together after we where finished exams. So me, being inexperienced with this sorta thing, dove head first into trying to impress her etc, with things basically being the same as they where when we were going out, minus the arguing. Then I realised about 3weeks ago that this wasn't helping me get over her, and so effectively ended all contact with her. To say this isn't going well is an understatement..

Now this is where I'm confused. A good friend of mine, and her best friend, recently told me that "I think *Her Name* regrets breaking up with you." I also know that she has been regularly checking my facebook etc as the same friend told me the same. Many people have advised me to maintain distance for (and I quote) "a while." How long exactly is a while? I go on holiday with all my guy friends on the 25th June, her exams finish on the 16th, do I do it in that time period? Or should I wait and talk to her after I come back?

Appreciate any advice/comments you can pass on this, Cheers, Chris.

She broke up with you because she couldn't handle the stess of you and her exams? Is that right? What? She couldn't just ask you to give her space for a couple of weeks while she handled studying and writing her exams? If she regrets breaking up with you then don't you think she should be the one to tell you that she made a mistake and actually make an effort to reconcile rather than you do all the reaching out? You make an effort after she broke up with you then once again she holds all the power in your relationship and you'll have just told her you will let her do anything and you'll take her back (no questions asked).

Up to you how you go about it of course, but I'll tell you right now that you'll have a far more attentive gf if she has to at least make SOME effort to have you. It's human nature to appreciate something we've had to work for or put effort into obtaining.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I'm a little confused because at one point you make it seem like you want to get over her, but then you go on to ask how long you should maintain distance from her. If something like exams stress her out so much that she can't have a significant other, then I don't see you two ever having a healthy relationship. My everyday life is filled with enormous stress, but I can't tell my husband that I want a break in our marriage until the stress subsides because honestly, it never does! From what you described, it seems that you two get along better as friends.