+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Two months(ish) later...

Two months(ish) later...

So I've got a question for all of you. Did you ever break up with a long-term partner who you intended to remain friends with after the breakup?

I ask this because I broke up with my girlfriend about two months back, and we've been in no contact since then (with only two tiny exceptions of no consequence) and I'm feeling pretty good about myself, starting to meet some new people, and all that. I feel like I've done a good job of moving on. So here's the thing...just today it occurred to me that when I do decide that I'm ready to make contact with her again, I really don't know how or when I'll do it. But honestly, as far as I know right now, it might be another day, it might be another two months...I have no plans either way at the moment.

I'm at the point right now where I feel like I could contact her, but at the same time I don't feel any pressing need to. My only real concern with it is that I don't want to find out I waited too long. I know that real friendship should be able to survive even that, and I believe we have it, so I don't think it's likely to be a problem regardless of how long I wait. But the concern is definitely there in the back of my mind.

Has anybody actually done this? How did you ease back into a friendship after a breakup if you have? And as far as seeing each other for the first time, do you think it's better to have a brief one-on-one lunch or something easy and low pressure like that, or maybe just hang out in a group of mutual friends?

I'm really not sweating any of this, I'm just bored at work and the thought crossed my mind so I figured I'd survey you folks and see what you thought. Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by DonkeyKong; 21-03-10 at 01:20 AM.

I never keep in touch with any of my exs. I don't intend to do. I don't find the need for it, to be honest. The fact that I shared the most intimate physical side together makes me feel that I cannot keep in touch as a friend. I wouldn't feel good about it especially when I had someone new in my life. I've always wanted to be a one man's girl.

My ex wanted to stay as friends when we broke up. He does with all his exs. Good for him. Just not my thing.

I don't expect it to be without awkwardness. But one thing we both agreed on when we split was that we wanted to maintain a relationship, just not the same kind we had. I'm also fully aware of the strong possibility of it not working out, but I do want to at least try.