+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The L Word

The L Word

Guys, if your girlfriend of afew months told you she loved you, and you didn't feel the same way, how would you feel? Would it scare you off? I ask this because I recently told me bf I love him (by text- I was drunk) and his initial reaction was to ask me had I been drinking. Not wanting to come across as some lame girl who can't handle her drink and then texts stupid things, and also the fact that I do actually love him and had wanted to tell him anyway and the drink just gave me the confidence to do so, I lied and said I hadn't been drinking. He asked me why I had text him that then and I text back saying because I wanted him to know that's how I feel. He just replied something like oh OK then. We have been getting on fine since, neither of us have mentioned it again (this was a couple of weeks ago), and I'm seeing it as a good thing that he never said it back because it shows me that he takes it seriously and will only say it when he means it. Guys, is this a good sign that he thinks he could fall in love with me one day? Personally I feel like if someone told me they loved me and I didn't feel the same, unless I thought the potential was there I would end it.
    Last edited by malteser; 09-12-11 at 01:37 AM.

It was through text, so he probably just brushed it aside. You can't tell someone something emotional in text and then analyze their return response.

Tell him in person, and let us know his reaction.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Saying "I love you" for the first time is never romantic when it's through a text.
    Try saying it to him face to face next time and see how he reacts. If he doesn't react and say it back....then he doesn't love you yet. My husband was the first one in our relationship to tell me he loved me.... a guy will say it when it's right for him.

It wouldn't scare me off, but I'd think she had god-awful social skills to say something that important via a text message. This is better done face-to-face. But then I'm older, in my 40s. I don't think texting is good for important messages like: I love you, I'm breaking up with you, Do you want to go out on a date.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)